Should a raised bed be covered in the winter?

SharonDwp7470bPat Russell
+5

• Gk
    Gk

It depends on what you use your raised bed for. If it is a vegetable garden-not necessary. If you have some perennial flowers in a raised bed you could chose to cover it with a good layer of mulch or individually cover the plants. Otherwise it is not necessary to cover. I clean mine out in the fall removing all dead plant material and rake it smooth. In the spring I rake again before I plant.
  • Pat Russell
    Pat Russell

Hey, Barb: I don't think it is necessary to cover a raised bed. Treat it just like the dirt in your yard. If you are trying to save some plants over the winter and are in a cold area, covering might be helpful.

• Barb Harter
      Barb Harter

This seems right now that I think about it. I have done some containor gardening as my soil has never been good, and that's what I do with my rhubarb. Thanks for the info.
  • Dwp7470b
    Dwp7470b

Yes, you can use leaves or other biodegradable paper or bags to Cover it.

• Sharon
    Sharon

Do you mean as in a canopy or a bed skirt? Personally when I do a raised bed for a client, I do add a bedskirt, so there can be underbed storage. I have found over time, I don't like canopies as they are massive dust collectors unless your going to take them down monthly as wash - too much work for me. Now mosquito net canopy is another matter as that will keep me from getting eaten alive during spring.

• Sharon
      Sharon

LOL guess I didn't get it was a garden bed. I do cover garden beds for my winter crops using hoops and plastic.