DIY Floating Wood Shelf - Laundry Room

$50

If you saw my last post, you'll know that I did a mini-makeover of my laundry room over the last couple of weekends. First on that project was a DIY Weathered Wood Plank Wall that I put up behind the washer and dryer. Second on that project list was to build a floating shelf above the washer and dryer to add some storage space.

Here are the abbreviated instructions for building my DIY floating wood shelf, for detailed instructions, please visit my blog at the link at the bottom of this post.

First, I used a stud finder to locate and mark the studs in the wall.

Next, I cut the boards that will be attached to the wall in the back and on the sides.

I then began attached the boards. I used a level to ensure the board was straight, and then I used brad nails to hold the board in place while I drilled screws into the boards over the studs.

I did the same thing with the boards on the side walls, attaching them so the top of those boards were flush with the top of the back board.

Next, I attached the center support boards followed by the front board to complete the framing for the floating shelf.

I then cut a plywood top for the shelf as well as the front trim piece.

I stained the plywood top and the front trim piece with Dark Walnut stain and coated with polyurethane.

Once dry, I attached the shelf to the top of the frame.

I then attached the front trim piece.

Lastly, I added some farmhouse decor on top of the shelf and smile everytime I walk by! The laundry room no longer brings a sense of dread! :-)

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Pinspired to DIY

• M. M..

Is it still a floating shelf if it touches the two walls? not a killjoy question, I'm just curious...

• Mj

Since there isn't much support on the front of the shelf is it mainly for decorative items? Or is it sturdy enough to hold weight? Looks nice 👍

• Kim Hilyer Shelton

What kind of material can you use around a lampshade frames

• Nina Li

Wow! It all looks so good. Now I’m inspired. 😊

• Sharyn

This is exactly what I want to do in a strange little book in my living room.

Thank you!