DIY Floating Wood Shelf - Laundry Room

$50

If you saw my last post, you'll know that I did a mini-makeover of my laundry room over the last couple of weekends. First on that project was a DIY Weathered Wood Plank Wall that I put up behind the washer and dryer. Second on that project list was to build a floating shelf above the washer and dryer to add some storage space.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room

Here are the abbreviated instructions for building my DIY floating wood shelf, for detailed instructions, please visit my blog at the link at the bottom of this post.

First, I used a stud finder to locate and mark the studs in the wall.

Next, I cut the boards that will be attached to the wall in the back and on the sides.

I then began attached the boards. I used a level to ensure the board was straight, and then I used brad nails to hold the board in place while I drilled screws into the boards over the studs.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room

I did the same thing with the boards on the side walls, attaching them so the top of those boards were flush with the top of the back board.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room
diy floating wood shelf laundry room

Next, I attached the center support boards followed by the front board to complete the framing for the floating shelf.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room

I then cut a plywood top for the shelf as well as the front trim piece.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room
diy floating wood shelf laundry room

I stained the plywood top and the front trim piece with Dark Walnut stain and coated with polyurethane.

Once dry, I attached the shelf to the top of the frame.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room

I then attached the front trim piece.

diy floating wood shelf laundry room

Lastly, I added some farmhouse decor on top of the shelf and smile everytime I walk by! The laundry room no longer brings a sense of dread! :-)

diy floating wood shelf laundry room
diy floating wood shelf laundry room
diy floating wood shelf laundry room
Pinspired to DIY

• Elisabeth Robinson

Good morning

I was wondering, why didn't you use the same wood as your plank wall ( which looks awesome by the way!), and why make the shelf so dark with your black appliances? Thank you for your response and for sharing

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Elisabeth. I wanted some contrast between the wall and the shelf. I love the color of the Dark Walnut stain so I decided to go with the darker shelf. We plan on replacing the doors and the trim with white, so the room will be much brighter once we do that. :-)

• Greenthumb37

Great idea for front loaders but mine opens from the top. Love the back wall. What material did you use?

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi! I used wood wall planks from Home Depot, they come in a box to cover 10.5 square feet and I chose Nantucket Gray color.

• M. M..

Is it still a floating shelf if it touches the two walls? not a killjoy question, I'm just curious...