How can I remove moisture between dual panes of windows?

+6

All of my dual pane windows have failed. They are probably as old as the house, which is 35 years old, so no chance of any warranty. How can I safely remove the moisture from in between?

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 21, 2018
    Geeze Louise Chrissy, that's horrible:( The only thing I can think of doing is to wait until the windows dry out and then re-caulk the edges with a clear caulking. Do you know who put the windows in the house? Some companies have lifetime guarantees/warranties. I'd get hold of them and ask. Remember, a no is better than a missed yes:) Good luck.
  • William William on Jul 21, 2018

Nothing can be done. Cannot be removed. The seal has broken and the inert gas, usually Argon, has leaked out. The glass panes will need to be replaced not the whole windows. I know Ace Hardware sells double glass panels. They also install. Cheaper than replacing complete windows.

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 21, 2018
    There is a new system thats been used in Europe for years.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-Fu2V4oVo&t=101s this is a growing service in US since so many windows fail or you can do yourself
    • See 2 previous
    • Chrissy Chrissy on Jul 22, 2018
      Yeah, I have so many windows it would wipe out my retirement savings! Better to look at misted windows and not go broke! Meanwhile, I got some tiny split bamboo roll up shades at Lowes for $13 each, in tea green stain. I can see through them, and they soften the ugliness of the misted area... like rice paper would. So much easier than drilling a hole and so much cheaper than replacement. But thank you everyone for your interest and time.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 21, 2018

I agree with William. You can't recaulk or anything to keep the windows working the way they should once the seal is broken. Replacing the window panes would be the best option.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 06, 2021

Hello Chrissy,

Sadly, I don't think you can! It might be time for a change or should I say an Investment!