Can I use latex primer (kilz) on varnished oak trim if I degloss?

+4
  • William William on Jul 22, 2018

Yes you can. Either use a deglosser (which I don't like) or lightly sand to remove the gloss.

• See 1 previous
    • Julie Julie on Jul 22, 2018
      I meant to add also, I’ve applied deglosser 3x and parts are still splotchy. Is the deglosser still there working and I just can’t see it? Therefore eliminating the worry of possible bleed through later? After the latex?
  • William William on Jul 22, 2018
    Deglosser just need to be wiped on and any extra wiped off. If you look at an angle and don't see a shine the deglosser did it's job. The splotchy is just that there was more finish/varnish in one spot than another. Should not have bleed through with the primer. May need two coats.
    • Julie Julie on Jul 22, 2018
      Thank you so much!!!!
      if it covers in one coat and it dries properly can I assume that I’m good? In other words, if it’s going to bleed through could you see that right away? Does stain creep out on you later? I know you’re bored with this but I’m a single mom with too much oak and my life would be better off less orange. Trying to do it myself. Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it.
  • William William on Jul 22, 2018
    Usually one coat of primer is enough. You don't need solid coverage with primer. It prevents bleeding and a "tooth" for your paint. You won't have any bleeding.
  • Julie Julie on Jul 22, 2018
    Thank you!🤗 I’ll give it a whirl. Wish me luck!