Flower Bed Picket Fence Rescue at the Small House

I rescued this picket fence panel from along the roadside. I think this garden bed now says "Welcome" to the house with the big garden - what we are known for in our community! We cut the fence panel down a bit to take off the broken pickets on both sides. Then we buried the panel in the ground, secured it with rebar stuck deep into the earth and then connected rebar and panel using pipe flanges. We added several inches of bark chips all around. I moved in some large rocks and planted Lupine babies and transplanted three catmints. The catmints will flower all season with lavender blooms and gray/green foliage. This fall I'll add a couple of early blooming, scented daylilies.This flower bed is alongside of our pole barn driveway and greats our family and friends when they come to the Small House Under a Big Sky. The cost? We only paid for the two White Pines…everything else were free!
flower bed picket fence recue at the small house, fences, flowers, gardening, landscape, outdoor living
This rustic garden bed is the perfect way to say "Welcome" to our home and land!
The entire garden bed includes two 5 ft. White Pines, added for screening and privacy. A third pine will be added to form a triangle, behind the fence panel this coming autumn to take advantage of the cool weather and abundant fall rain.
Driving in the gravel driveway to our 1950's Ranch home in the country this is the view our guest will enjoy. That's the Small House in the rear of this image.
Love these catmints! Once established they will take on a rounded form and send up lavender spikes and this herb can take the all the sun and heat that our Zone 5b gives us.
Lupine babies in year one. They will not bloom this year but winter over just fine. Next spring they will bloom with glorious deep purple flowers which will send out seeds and spread as the years progress.

To see more: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

• Lovesunique

Very nice greeting to visitors and homeowner! Hope you post a picture when everything is in bloom.

• Great look, am going to borrow it. Making something from pallet boards would work if you can't find the picket look though that would surely be my preference. I have this image of house numbers too though the fence looks perfect on its own. Maybe small mason jars painted ...a little twine around the necks but with the house numbers scrolled out .... a solar light on the top ....along the front of the patch so that it's clearly visible. I'm projecting, as that's what I'm going to do.