How to Root Basil

$0
1 Week

Basil is the most popular herb grown, and it's easy to root more plants for yourself or friends!

First, take some cuttings from your growing basil plant. (Use a good pair of pruning shears.) These can be simple cuttings from pruning. The more you prune, the larger and more abundant your plant will be! (Check out how to prune basil here.) Be sure the stem of your cutting is at least a few inches long.

Next, grab a clear jar or glass and fill halfway with water. Take your cut end of basil and place it in the jar so that the end is submerged in the water, but none of the leaves are touching the water. (You may need to remove a few lower leaves if they're too close to the water.)

Allow cutting to sit in the water for 5-10 days, refreshing the water every few days, and checking to make sure the end of the cutting is still touching water.

Place cutting in water and wait.

After 5-10 days, your cutting should have at least one small root growing from the bottom of the cut end! You can leave your cutting in the water for a longer amount of time if you're not quite ready to plant or gift to a friend or neighbor. But once the root reaches 2 inches or longer, it is ready to be planted.

Keep in mind the environment that your plant has been in. If you've kept the cutting inside during the rooting process, be sure to give it time to acclimate to the outdoors before leaving it out there full time.

Small root showing after only 5 days!

Enjoy rooting new basil plants from what you already have!

Courtney |The Kitchen Garten

• Val

Thanks for the reminder. I recently was at the Home depot and there were pieces of Coleus on the ground, I asked if I could have them. Naturally, I rooted them and planted them.

• Jeanienne

I have basil in my freezer for the next year. But I always let them sit in water for 2 or so weeks for more roots and I mean alot of roots and I put it where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade, i live in south Carolina so its pretty hot here, it seems to grow better and bigger that way