Antique Doilies Display Question

RachelButtermilkSam
+11

I have quite a few antique Doilies the my Grandma Aggie made and wanting some feedback and some ideas for displaying them.

I've seen where people sew them together for table runners, curtians and bedspreads and I don't care for that idea much. I have these in particular that I'm wanting to use for decorations.

How would I go about making little mini hangers for them? Or anyone have other ideas?

• Dysko7710
    Dysko7710

You could display them in floating frames as art, between panes of glass. Or you could use empty frames or old window frames and put chicken wire on the back and then lightly sew them on in the frame on the chicken wire or pin them to the wire to display. It would be fun if you could make artsy heads and feet out of wire or something and then display them in a frame wearing the doily clothes.
  • I would put them in shadow boxes grouped by color. Or if you're looking for whimsical, a clothesline with mini clothespins holding them would be cute.
    • Rachel
      Rachel

Oh Emy! Never thought about little clothespines!! They are good sized, a but larger than a Barbie.

• Kkn4678064
    Kkn4678064

My great grandmother made some similar items. We hang them on the Christmas tree as our ornaments display items from a few generations. We don't want them to be destroyed by light so they only come out during the Christmas season.

If you want hangers, try purchasing Barbie hangers. Cannot quite tell the size of your items.

Good luck.

• Jeanette
    Jeanette

You could get one or two all starched up, very stiffly, and use them to display old brooches, earrings, etc., that are old and sentimental to you. Beats having them in drawers!

• Kkn4678064
    Kkn4678064

Another idea for hangers--Check out the crafters who make doll-house furniture. They really get intricate and involved with some of their items. I have seen ice cream parlor chairs out of wire. Very clever.

• Kkn4678064
    Kkn4678064

PS - I guess I should think these thru--you can cover the wire with styrafoam so no snagging the crochet.

• Sam
    Sam

My mother-in-law had nearly 300 of those clothing-styled doilies/potholders. She hung muslin curtains on the wall and pinned a lot of the little dresses to the curtains using straight pins. In her laundry room, she hung a number of antique washboards to which she glued some little clothespins, then clipped more of the little pants/dresses to them. The little clothes line idea sounds good too!

• Buttermilk
    Buttermilk

Goood for you wanting to keep these......I kept mine and i do sell these. Anyway.....first of all i use mine....the cute dresses.....in my antique cupboards....hung them inside the doors....just put a small nail there and hung it.....my house is 1865 very primitive. Also, could hang them on your walls or on the refridgerator. Maybe if you have a window over the sink....take a curtain rod and hang them that way.....Love love love collectors.

• Rachel
    Rachel

When I stumbled across these, they were at my parents house all folded up inside gallon glass jars. Every shape and size, plain to intricate. I hand washed them and let them dry. I have doilies on anything and everything!! I just fell in love with the dresses and pants! My Mom said she can remember her Mom and their neighbor making these over the winter. I hope you all know how much i truly appreciate the ideas!! Lovr them all, deciding what to do is gonna be a hard one!!