What’s the best DIY chalk paint materials?

+7

I have left over white paint from a previous project and I bought a night stand that I want to refurbish.

q what s the best diy chalk paint materials

bought this at the thrift store

• Suelane Suelane on Jul 24, 2018
    Hi Buddy, here is a link to different recipes to make your own chalk paint.

Good luck and have fun!

• Marilyn Bonnett Marilyn Bonnett on Jul 24, 2018

Do you want it plain or distressed? Sand, seal, sand slightly and paint, you can also apply a glaze over the white for character

• Alicia Alicia on Jul 25, 2018
    Amazon has the calcium carbonate. Very inexpensive. Best chalk paint. I even mix it into my acrylic paints. Takes the plastic look away from the acrylics
  • Donna Fraysse Donna Fraysse on Jul 25, 2018

There is a recipe using your paint and plaster of Paris that works well. I’ve done several pieces in that mixture.

• Buddy Buddy on Jul 25, 2018
      thanks Donna! I want to mix white with blue. I’ll check it out

I made my original chalk paint with white. Then I took leftover white and made a light gray. Then took light gray and made it black. All from the original quart of white. Worked great no matter what I used for the protector top coat. I have used Johnson’s Paste Wax and also polyeuthane. I also have white washed over a few pieces. I just finished a bed. It was a lighter wood, like maple possibly. High shine. Covered with gray, white washed over and then poly because I figured it would get plenty of use and with wood I didn’t want it scratched or marked. Good Luck!

• Homeroad Homeroad on Aug 19, 2018

I've made DIY chalk paint using a quart of regular paint and adding unsanded grout to the paint. You don't have to add too much, about 1/4 cup should be fine!