Ow do I clean a vintage metal insulated porch milk box?

MichelleWilliamVimarhonor
+6

Top

Inside

Front

Back

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I would try sending the rust off if you can. You may end up having to paint parts of it, but the side with the company name looks perfect and could be left alone. You could spray paint the rusty sides with Rustoleum once you get the rust off, but again, the focal point will be the company name side which can be left original. Good luck, Hgj! It will look great on your porch when it is finished. Leave the front alone, but you could seal it with a clear coat (Rustoleum has a clear top coat) to keep it looking good if you want.

• Kayakmama
      Kayakmama

Thanks for your ideas. I have sanded off rust but now some spots are too shiny Or blotchy. Hoping to find a way to re-galvanize the box so it'll stand up to the elements
    William

I agree with sanding the rust. For the hinges and hard to sand areas use a brass brush with WD40. Wipe clean and spray with metal paint. Painters tape and newspaper on the wall. Several light coats will give you a smooth finish.
    • Kayakmama
      Kayakmama

• Bev
    Bev

Try Tarnex after light sanding rusty areas. If sanded areas come up brightly polished you can coat the area with toilet cleaner and let it set for a few hours and then buff off. I personally like Krylon clear coats they come mstte, satin and high gloss, and hold up outside.

• Kayakmama
      Kayakmama

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

I have not personally use this product personally , but have had exceptional experience and performance with other Rustoleum colors and sheens. This may be an option for you —consider looking over user reviews and QA and see if that might meet your need.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/cold-galvanizing-compound-spray

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Cold+Galvanizing+Compound+Spray

William

Rustoleum make spray paint he looks like galvanized metal and it also is a rust preventative.

• Michelle
    Michelle

I have the same milk box found in an antique store I use it to put my garden tools it sits on my front porch