DIY Decor Ladder for Your Home!

$25

DIY - How to make a decor ladder for your home! I'll take you step by step in how I made this beautiful rustic decor ladder for my home. You can also watch the youtube video for a detailed view on this project, please subscribe to my channel if you enjoy my content! Thank you.

diy decor ladder for your home

Hey everyone! Welcome back! If you enjoyed this tutorial, I would appreciate it if you headed over to youtube and subscribed, all my content is free and I only get paid when people view and subscribe to my channel! Lets get started by grabbing ourselves a couple of 2x4s.

diy decor ladder for your home

I used a roll of blue painters tape to get a nice rounded edge on the ends of two 2x4s. You can use a can or anything else with a rounded shape. Cut these with a jigsaw or a handsaw.

diy decor ladder for your home

Mark a line to 64 inches (or any size you prefer) on your two 2x4s.

diy decor ladder for your home

I set the miter saw to 15 degrees for the cut at 64 inches long. If you don't have a miter saw, don't panic! You can easily get this angle with a square and cut it with a handsaw. I prefer Japanese pull saws for their cutting power. They are very strong and work well. You can usually pick one up for $15-30 online.

diy decor ladder for your home

Since my lines weren't angled on the boards to match the 15 degrees on the miter saw I simply cut to the right of the line. After I cut my two long boards down to size, I used the scrap and an extra board to cut 4 ladder steps at 16 inches wide, be sure to reset the saw back to 0.

diy decor ladder for your home

Start marking lines 14 inches apart for 4 ladder steps on the two 64 inch boards. You'll only need 4 lines.

diy decor ladder for your home

Take a ruler and measure off that line, in to about 3/4 of an inch. This will be the center point of your ladder step, so when you drill the screws in, everything is lined up properly.

diy decor ladder for your home

As you can see, the parallel line is 3/4 away from that 14 inch line, and the other two perpendicular lines are also 3/4 to an inch from the edges. Do not drill all the way through! Set a stop line with some tape on your bit.

diy decor ladder for your home

Sanding! get all your sanding finished and prepped! I know, its tedious, but it must be done! ;)

diy decor ladder for your home

After pre drilling the holes for my ladder steps, I plugged in a few 3 inch screws about half way, so they are ready when everything is glued up.

diy decor ladder for your home

Stirring up a can of Varathane weathered gray from home depot.

diy decor ladder for your home

Make sure you apply heavy and wipe off ALL EXCESS or you will have inconsistencies in your stain. Do not attempt to go back minutes later after staining to apply more, you will end up taking more stain off when you go to wipe it again. Its a tricky stain and doesn't work the same as Minwax. Be sure to use a test board to make sure you like the color and know how to properly apply the stain.

diy decor ladder for your home

I applied titebond glue to the ends of the ladder steps with a small brush to even it out. I did not go heavy on the glue as I don't want any or much squeeze out after clamping it together.

diy decor ladder for your home

I clamped everything up then screwed it together. If you don't have any clamps, you might have to get creative. It shouldn't be hard to have a helper hold your board in place while you drive the screws in. You can also save the staining for last if you prefer, I just didn't want to deal with all the corners and tight places so I stained before-hand. You may also add a clear coat after everything has dried if you want added protection.

diy decor ladder for your home

Again, thank you for viewing my tutorial and I hope you viewed the video also! This content is 100% free and so are my youtube videos. I would appreciate it if you could take the time to subscribe to my channel and like/comment! Stay tuned for future content and have a great day!

• Em

Did you consider using large dial rods for the rungs instead of 2 x 4's? Your ladder is lovely, just thinking the dial rods would look more like a vintage ladder.

• Birdy Daniel

Dowels are not always reserved for ladders! I made this sweet ladder from 2x4” pine and 6x8x1” polyvinyl scraps for shelves for my vintage-inspired bathroom, to access a high storage area I had designed on either side over the toilet. When not in use, it utilizes face cloths for both shower and bath.

Note the horizontal dowel rod under the top set of cabinets. This is where the top ladder hooks set and secure. I can climb all the way to the top!

• Paula Lanza

Love your sofa! who is it by and what color is it considered?