What's an inexpensive way to stop foundation leaking?

Gea32172846Maureen Davis MurphyRymea
+6

Our basement foundation is leaking and we would like to fix it but, we are both retired and money is a big factor. Is there any way to stop this leaking on a budget? Thanks in advance

• Cindy Hagemann
    Cindy Hagemann

This is a big job and can be serious - you would be off calling a professional and getting a quote.
  • Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
    Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Hey Maureen, check this out. This is instructions for a specific brand, but you can find masonry sealant at home depot or Lowes
  • Gea32172846
    Gea32172846

If it is not major leaking, where you might need a sump pump, or possibly, outside excavation to seal outer walls and install proper drainage my, suggestion from personal experience in my 95 year old house in N.E. Ohio... Clean all loose paint from walls using a wire brush (hand held or wire wheel attached to a drill etc.) Prepare cracks removing all loose debris, again the wire brush/wheel works well for this. Mix up small amounts of Dry Lok FAST PLUG or similar product found at Lowe's or any DIY center. Fill cracks, allow to dry, rough sand and paint with Dry Lok Masonry Waterproofer (Latex Paint). Two coats seemed to work for me. These products are both made by UGL. I suppose others might indeed work but these worked great for my dampness/seeping when we get extremely heavy rains. Still a lot of physical work but reasonably priced for the budget and it worked for my problem. It goes without saying that safety is important so gloves and dust mask should be used, especially when removing old lead based paints. Good Luck! Let me know if this helped. P.S. Sometimes running a dehumidifier also helps with the moisture and odors in damp basements.

• Maureen Davis Murphy
      Maureen Davis Murphy

Gea, Thank You, for your info, We do not have major leaking, just seeping whenever we get a huge rain and wind. We will look into this solution.

• Rymea
    Rymea

You could try building up the soil on that side of the house about a foot or more high and sloping 3 feet out so that the water drains away. You can have it delivered.

• Maureen Davis Murphy
    Maureen Davis Murphy

Thank You, Will give that a try..

• Gea32172846
    Gea32172846

Very Good. Hope this can help you.