How do I update my kitchen? It’s 6x6 tile and needs some attention

Lisa Williams DanielLynR Walter
+7

My kitchen is old and outdated. I have 6x6 tiles on the counter and as the backsplash.

• Susan
    Susan

For the back splash you could go with the inexpensive stick on tiles.
    For the counter top, you could paint it.

• Oliva
    Oliva

Remove the tiles. Sand, prime, and paint walls with 2 coats good quality kitchen paint. You can also opt to install laminate, butcher block hardwood, quartz, stainless steel, soapstone, granite, etc. on counter. You can place larger tiles on walls, or subway tiles, or paint reverse side of glass, and mount pieces as your backsplash. If you want to save cash and time, there are artisan tiles in 6"x 6" size that you could place in random pattern, amongst existing tiles, if you carefully remove select wall tiles, and can match grout.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

Removing any tiles is not an easy, fast, or clean job. If you have sheetrock/drywall behind the backsplash tiles now, the damage caused to the sheetrock to the walls when the tiles come off might very well be too much to save the existing sheetrock. If you are wanting the backsplash area painted, the sheetrock will most likely first have to be replaced with new.
  • R Walter
    R Walter

You could also use the grout renew paints that are carried at big box stores and change the color of the grout, would make a huge difference.

• Lyn
    Lyn

randomly stencil the tile with design of your choosing. Be sure to clear coat them afterwards.

• Lisa Williams Daniel
    Lisa Williams Daniel

I had tile around my fireplace that I hated. I lightly sanded them and then painted them with enamel paint. I then added several coats of a polyacrylic sealer to finish.