How to Build a Two Rail Wood Fence

$25

Does part of your yard border the street, where people walk their dogs? Do people let their dogs wander into your garden and make a mess?

That was the problem I was having. I love dogs, just not when they're tearing up my yard.

Plus, I needed a structure to support my peonies. I solved two problems with one simple, easy to make fence. Follow these steps to build your own.

BEFORE
BEFORE

Before you begin, measure the total length of the area you want to fence. Then head to the store for materials. You will need:

• 4" x 4" treated wood posts – I used 36″ long posts to build a 24″ tall fence
  • 5/8" x 3.5" fence boards – I used 6′ long boards
  • Post hole digger
  • Crowbar
  • Hammer & nails
  • Screw driver
  • Bubble level
  • Measuring tape
I scored FREE fence posts
I scored FREE fence posts

As I was shopping for my materials, I spotted some posts in the scrap wood pile at my local Home Depot. I thought these would work well for my project, and picked them up for free.

This thrifty find helped me do this whole project for just $25. Keep an eye out for scrap materials you might be able to use.

1.  Dig your post holes
1. Dig your post holes

Right. Now the real work begins.

Decide where you want your fence, and dig your first post hole. A post hole digger will make this task much easier than trying to use a shovel.

Since my fence was just going to be 24" tall, I dug my holes 12" deep. If you're planning a taller fence, you'll want to dig deeper holes for more support.

2.  Set the posts
2. Set the posts

Once the hole is the correct depth, set your post.

Use your bubble level to make sure the post remains plumb in both directions as you compact dirt back into the hole.

(I chose not to use concrete, because this fence is mostly decorative. You may want to set your posts in concrete if it's taller, or will get more heavy use.)

We worked by setting the first and second posts, and then attaching the rails before moving on to the next post. This made it a little easier to know where each post should go, because we just used the rails to measure the distance to the next hole.

3.  Attach the rails
3. Attach the rails

To attach your rails, lightly secure one end of the board at the height you want it on your first post. Then use your level to determine where the board should attach to the next post.

how to build a two rail wood fence

Securely nail or screw both ends of the board to each post.

I braced the post with my leg while I hammered in the nails, just for a little extra support.

4.  Finish the fence
4. Finish the fence

Keep working your way across, adding posts and rails, until you've spanned the whole space.

how to build a two rail wood fence

Now I have a pretty two rail fence across my yard, to keep the dogs out and the plants in. For more tips and photos, be sure to check out my full post at the link below.

You might also like this full tutorial on How to Build a Simple DIY Pergola. Check it out, and while you're there, snag your free copy of our Outdoor Living Idea Guide.

Single Girl's DIY

• Zelda

How does this keep the dogs out?

• Janet

Exactly - the fence is more for the owners than the dogs. ;-)

• Cindy McLaughlin

How did you do the edging on your yard?

• Dee

Wow! You did a great job! Are you going to paint it white to go with you house trim? Fence post closet to your driveway would be an excellent place to add your street address as well!  👍

• Single Girl's DIY

Thanks, Den! No, I don't plan to paint it. I find that much harder to maintain and keep looking good. I'll just let it get that weathered look.

• Deborah

Great job

• Maureen

Looks great. I have the same problem with the owners. They have long leases on their dogs & let them run half way up the front lawn. It makes our dog go crazy