From Cheesecake to DIY Stepping Stone

Go from this:
To this:
For this project you will need:
Concrete or your favorite "recipe"
Mold
Spray release-I use cheap cooking spray
gloves
dust mask
tub to mix concrete
A leaf or any kind of decorations to adorn your stepping stone (optional)
Spray adhesive or craft glue if you use a leaf
A piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire cut to fit in the middle of the mold
Concrete colorant (optional)
Water
Step 1. Clean and dry the mold.
Step 2. Find a leaf-make it a leaf with a thicker texture like a hosta or tree leaf so that the imprint will show up better.
Step 3. Spray the leaf with adhesive or glue and center it in the middle of the mold.
Step 4. After the leaf is in place spray the mold with cooking spray (or other mold release).
Step 5. Wipe out excess mold release-remember less is more:-))
Step 6. Mix up your cement recipe
or just use your favorite concrete mix
Add some water and if you are using liquid colorant add it now as specified by the manufacturer.
Keep mixing and adding water until you reached the desired consistency. I prefer a thicker consistency, you should be able to form a ball in your hand and it should hold its shape.
Step 8. Walk away for about 10 minutes and let the mix hydrate (unless you use fast setting concrete-start filling the mold if you did).
Step 9. Start adding to the mold (only fill half way)-pressing it in as you add to help release air bubbles.
Step 10. Add hardware cloth or chicken wire in the center so it does not touch the sides of the mold.
Step 11. Add more concrete to fill the mold (remember to press it down as you go).
Step 12. Tap the sides to release more air bubbles and to settle the concrete in the mold.
Step 13. Set the mold in a level place to set up for 24 hours. Don't forget to cover it with plastic to keep it moist.
Step 14. After 24 hours have passed remove the plastic. I like to scrape the scale off of the exposed area-this is entirely optional. To remove the scale I use a steak knife and scrape like this:
Step 15. Time to unmold. Place the mold upside down on a soft surface.
Try to gently push and pry (with your fingers) the stepping stone out of the mold-be gentle. You can cut the mold off if you are afraid to damage the stepping stone, I try to save my molds for reuse so I work them out best I can. Remove any leaf that stuck.
All done and ready for the cure!
Step 16. Cure-you can mist the stone and wrap it in plastic for a week or two to cure, misting daily to keep the stone hydrated or you can give it a water bath. The water bath is the method I prefer and this is how I do it:
Find a plastic tote or tub that is deep enough and add water to it.
Add your concrete creation and wait a week or two. Change the water if it starts to get cloudy or dirty.
After it is done curing I like to do a quick soak in a vinegar bath which is 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar. I let my concrete pieces soak in this mixture for a good 15-20 minutes. After that I let them air dry.
Step 17. Seal your stepping stone with a concrete sealer. I usually apply 3 coats. I use a water based sealer from Rustoleum, use whatever you like. There are a ton of different concrete sealers out there.
This one is already sealed and ready for the outdoors.
Place it out in your garden and enjoy! For more information and detailed instructions visit my blog:

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Rhonda B

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Why the vinegar bath?

• Debi O'Brien

I must try this one! I love how clean it looks! What does the vinegar do to it?

• Crumly

I’ve been doing my grandkids hands in stepping stones for about 10 years now. They’re holding up fine. But I’ve never ever done the water bath or vinegar bath. I’ve never even heard of it. Is it really necessary? What does that accomplish? Thanks. I really love the large leaves. I wish I had some.

• Rhonda B

Hi! Thanks for the question. A water bath is used to cure the concrete-curing ensures that the strength and durability of the concrete is achieved. It also reduces shrinkage cracks. A vinegar bath helps with the alkalinity of the piece if it is used in the garden.

• Susan

Excellent comprehensive directions. Thanks

• CherylAB

What a wonderful excuse to eat cheesecake!