How do I create a safe environment for someone in a walker?

+5

My husband will becoming home ina few short weeks. He will be in a wheelchair or walker. What can I do to make movement for him the easiest? He will need rehab. We are a single story home, thankfully.

• Cat Cat on Jul 27, 2018

make space, wide clear walk ways, move sofa coffee tables so he can get around them, bars on wall bathroom wall so easy for him to use bathroom , remove throw rugs as this can cause a fall or tanglement. do not wax floors for this is a slip hazard.

• Dfm Dfm on Jul 27, 2018
    How will he get in the door, any steps into the house? He may need a ramp to use.
    • Joanne Whitehead Schepis Joanne Whitehead Schepis on Jul 28, 2018

Hi...thanks for replying. We have two small steps into the house. They are working with this in rehab with him. I will ask our bath room contractor to help with this.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 28, 2018

Hi Joanne: If you have insurance that helps out with durable medical equipment, they will be able to help you with the cost of things in and around the house, including the bathroom, and help you with ideas to make navigating your home easy for him. Good luck to you both.

Thank you...our insurance agent and the care center are helping with that at this time.

• Deanna Maidwell Deanna Maidwell on Jul 28, 2018

If he gardens, you can make raised flower beds... Using hay bales, wood, whatever you can find... Smooth surfaces without pavers...

• Joanne Whitehead Schepis Joanne Whitehead Schepis on Aug 01, 2018
      Gardening is important to him...very important. Thanks for that idea as I was only thinking inside at this time. My daughter and I can start on those soon.