Caulking a new toilet.

+4

Is it a personal preference to caulk or not to caulk around a toilet base? What is the proper way to caulk? I have seen posts suggesting a bead of caulk under the toilet, then I've seen it placed around the base fixture. Thanks for the advice.

• Bijous Bijous on Jul 27, 2018
    Yes it is. Having said that, however, it never hurts to run a bead of clear caulk around. Hard to tell it's even there.
  • Amanda Amanda on Jul 27, 2018
    Hi Diana. I would caulk at the base. This will prevent from anything getting in between the floor and toilet base. I have younger children that sometimes don't make it in time, and it is easy to clean up. Otherwise some would get trapped and get stinky. I use a caulk gun and apply a bead where the gap is. Just like a steady line of caulk. Then you run your finger over it to almost flatten it out. This is harder for me to explain. I wish I could show you. I did find this video that should help. Good Luck!
  • Kim Kim on Jul 27, 2018

I understand that it’s personal choice but caulking keeps mop water from flowing in and back out from under your toilet. Once the toilet is set (and shimmed if necessary) Clean all the surfaces and dry well. Run a bead of caulk at the intersection of floor and toilet. Use your finger to smooth out. Use a damp paper towel to keep your finger clean.

Allow to set before using bathroom and open window for ventilation.

i hope that helps

😊

• Oliva Oliva on Jul 27, 2018

Clear caulk is the way to go on this project!

• Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Jul 28, 2018

Thank you for your advice. I may go the clear caulk route. My husband used white AND too much of it! Drives me insane.