Keri
Keri
  • Grand Blanc, MI

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

$150.00

After painting my master bathroom cabinets during our reno of that room I recieved the go ahead from my husband to paint the kitchen! I seriously hate this hate the honey oak contractor special cabinets that are found in all 3 bathrooms and my kitchen!

BEFORE! I had begun to remove the doors and drawers before i remembered to take before pics..lol

When we moved in we simply changed the hardware but the detail wasnt very noticeable on the dark dingy cabinets. Now they look great and the detail is so visible!

I was just getting started so don't mind the mess.

First, I wiped down all the cabinets with a white vinegar and water solution plus a few drops of dish soap. Removed all the hardware and took off the doors, plus taped off the walls.

Time for paint (that's right no sanding or priming)!

I use Shabby paint brand chalk paint in Worn White. Clear Varnish, and Hazelnut revax. Love their products! the varnish and revax are non toxic substitutes for glazing and waxing. SO MUCH EASIER TOO!!! All of their products are 100% toxin free and made in the U.S.A.

I added 3 coats on the front of the doors and drawers, and only 2 coats of paint on the back of the doors and cabinet frames.

Then, I used Shabby paint brands specially formulated varnish which would substitute for a glaze, wax, or polyurethane. Its 100% toxin free, odorless, and no fumes. The varnish gives a nice sheen and hard protective coating.

Then, I use Shabby brands revax for aging. You simply paint it on with a small artists brush for the look I gave it only in the corners and edging details.

See it in the corners here?

I let it dry overnight then reattach the hardware and hang the doors back up and done!

Now they look great and the detail is so visible!

• Carla

No, I like my light oak cabinets, so I am not going to paint them.

The white cabinets look pretty, however, this is a fad, and ten to one, in another five or so years, the oak or cherry cabinets will be "in" again.

Then what will people do who have painted their cabinets white or some other color, such as light gray?

• Pat

My "Builders' Grade" cabinets were installed in 1971 ! After about 30 years I painted them white with red edges to match my Hoosier Hutch and enamel baking table. I'm happy. I used enamel to paint because the rough finish like this is sure to attract dust and grease. I don't understand wanting to make the edges and corners look worn down.

• Cecilia Ruder

Yes, but on a different piece of furniture. What kind of brushes do you use?

• Charise.

Nice end result. ....I'm not seeing a $150 expense, tho.

• Danette Drennen

Great job! Your kitchen is beautiful!!

• Jan Moore

I like what you changed to, but we moved into my parents home 2 years ago. My parents moved into this house in 1974 and other than remove 1 small cabinet to fit in a new refrigerator not a thing has changed. My Dad's comment was "I'm 95, what do I care about". Due to a money problem that took all our funds, we are unable to reno. Oh well, maybe we'll hit the lottery.