Keri
Keri
  • Grand Blanc, MI

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

$150.00

After painting my master bathroom cabinets during our reno of that room I recieved the go ahead from my husband to paint the kitchen! I seriously hate this hate the honey oak contractor special cabinets that are found in all 3 bathrooms and my kitchen!

kitchen cabinet makeover, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting

BEFORE! I had begun to remove the doors and drawers before i remembered to take before pics..lol

When we moved in we simply changed the hardware but the detail wasnt very noticeable on the dark dingy cabinets. Now they look great and the detail is so visible!

I was just getting started so don't mind the mess.

First, I wiped down all the cabinets with a white vinegar and water solution plus a few drops of dish soap. Removed all the hardware and took off the doors, plus taped off the walls.

Time for paint (that's right no sanding or priming)!

I use Shabby paint brand chalk paint in Worn White. Clear Varnish, and Hazelnut revax. Love their products! the varnish and revax are non toxic substitutes for glazing and waxing. SO MUCH EASIER TOO!!! All of their products are 100% toxin free and made in the U.S.A.

I added 3 coats on the front of the doors and drawers, and only 2 coats of paint on the back of the doors and cabinet frames.

kitchen cabinet makeover

Then, I used Shabby paint brands specially formulated varnish which would substitute for a glaze, wax, or polyurethane. Its 100% toxin free, odorless, and no fumes. The varnish gives a nice sheen and hard protective coating.

kitchen cabinet makeover

Then, I use Shabby brands revax for aging. You simply paint it on with a small artists brush for the look I gave it only in the corners and edging details.

kitchen cabinet makeover

See it in the corners here?

kitchen cabinet makeover

I let it dry overnight then reattach the hardware and hang the doors back up and done!

kitchen cabinet makeover

Now they look great and the detail is so visible!

• Holly Ferguson Davis

I have wood cabinets that have been painted. I find that where you open them there are gouges from fingernails. Is this type of paint tough enough to handle fingernail gouges for a while at least? My husband is very hard on things to keep them looking nice for very long. Would I need to use a deck or boat paint instead? Then we would be getting into toxins, etc.

• Sandy

Did you repaint the baseboards and door facings or were they always white? Mine are all brown throughout the house

• Connie Brown

What kind of countertop do u have I like it. And fabulous job on cabinets.