Keri
Keri
  • Grand Blanc, MI

Patio Garden 2013

In late fall 2012 our family adopted a pitbull mix puppy who was so sweet yet full of spunk! Well over the winter months we noticed that when she was taking an extra long time coming back to the door on her potty breaks it was because she was occupying herself by digging, chewing, basically destroying our patio garden that we had just put in that summer.
For me, this wasnt just heartbreaking when spring came (literally cried) it was back breaking. Ive had spinal surgeries that lead to more complications. It takes me a long time to do my gardening now that I need frequent breaks to ease the pain it causes. Of course I love to garden and couldnt let it sit bare. So I went back to work. by early fall it wasnt looking to shabby...
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
my grandfather built me four trellises I planted hummingbird vine on 2 and clematis on the others. The pup chewed them at the stem at ground level. They had to start all over. But at least they came back.
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
One Delphinium came back and was huge! the bush behind it was destroyed but thankfully a fast grower. It was doing quite well by mid June.
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
Thankfully I had let my Evening Primrose go to seed it was popping up everywhere! the chives survived as well.
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
Bleeding heart was still abloom mid June. I seperated some hostas and they took well of course.
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
ChaChi the cat..lol
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
this is early September.. Cana lilies, Coleus, and other things.
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
patio garden 2013, gardening, patio
Sunflower Splendor! I grow mine from seed every year and keep them surrounded by decorative to keep the rascally pup at bay from the seedlings.

• Barbara Turner

I had for a wonderfully goofy 14 years my rescue from our shelter a beautiful Beagle-Walker hound and that angel NEVER dug, NEVER drooled, NEVER really did anything that "normal" dogs do! she didn't really even like going to the dog parks. She was perfectly content hanging out at the house. Sadly I had to put her down 4-26-13 for total kidney failure. THE hardest thing I ever had to do because that's exactly what I saved her from in the first place. She'd go out into our yard and she had this special area of plain ol' clover that she LOVED to roll in and somehow, she NEVER got one flea on her! NO ticks either. Course I kept her up on it monthly.

patio garden 2013, gardening, patiopatio garden 2013, gardening, patiopatio garden 2013, gardening, patio
  • Connie S

Oh, by the way, I forgot to say how much I love your plant choices! It's been beautiful already, going to be gorgeous now that you have the doggies out of it! :)