How do I remove really old wallpaper glue from the wall?

+9

I’ve tried everything to remove this very old wallpaper adhesive. To no avail. Please help.

Thanks,

Mslalo

q ow do i remove really old wallpaper glue from the wall
  • Debbie Debbie on Jul 29, 2018
    Lily,
    I have used vinegar with water - mix it 50-50 in a spray bottle. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and the wall paper will come right off. I struggled with the same problems when I was trying to remove very old wallpaper in a 1920's bungalow. None of the commercial removers worked. Then someone told me about the vinegar and I could not believe how good it worked. Have fun!
  • Dokey Dokey on Jul 29, 2018

Have you tried Fabric Softener & Warm to Hot water in a spray bottle? Mix like 1/2 & 1/2 of each in an empty spray bottle. I’ve taken off a lot of wallpaper and this is the best thing I’ve used to get the “backing “ of the wallpaper that is always left when I stripped them. And you don’t have to pay for stripping sprays they sell for $6-$7, it’s just as good if not better. Spray a section and let it sit a few minutes then use a scraper. Hope it works for you!!

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 29, 2018
    Having done wallpaper removal for people for over 50 years, I can tell you people use some weird stuff to paste their wallpaper up. I just sand it off, and then skim coat the walls with joint compound.
  • Deanna Maidwell Deanna Maidwell on Jul 29, 2018

I used vinegar and water... I sprayed it on and then used a sharpened paint scraper... It took awhile, but it worked...

• Lilly Lilly on Jul 30, 2018

Thank you Deanna. I’m going to try this method. I have both vinegar and water.

• Heje Heje on Aug 26, 2018

I have used the fabric softener and water formula (half and half) and it always works for me.

• Lilly Lilly on Aug 27, 2018

Thank you. That sounds much more pleasant to smell Han vinegar but I’ll try them both.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 01, 2020

Hi Lily, you can buy a really inexpensive tool at the home improvement stores called a wallpaper shark. Its a handheld disk that has rolling cutters in it. Scrape the wall paper with the shark and spray on cheap window cleaner. The stuff you buy for cars. Wait a few minutes. It should easily peel off once it is soaked into the paper.