DIY Master Bathroom Vanity

$200

Bathroom vanities can be an expensive project. When we first moved in, we weren't planning on remodeling the MB vanities right away, but we were forced to do so due to a leak of one of the faucets under the sink. The faucet had to be replaced, so one thing led to this project! We needed to save money while making the needed repairs, so we went the DIY route of course.

I have posted about this project a really long time ago in a 4 part series on our blog, but it has had such a great response on Pinterest that I thought I would post about it again in a shorter more condensed version of the first series.
diy master bathroom vanity
Here's how the vanities looked when we moved in.  Not terribly awful with its shell shaped sink in faux blue swirled marble top, but not so much up to date either!  Surely not our style!  That faucet there was the culprit and reason for the whole makeover.

NOTE:  You can see my method of painting our cabinets by clicking right here.
diy master bathroom vanity
We like the rustic but new look.  Does that make sense?  When we were trying to figure out what route to take in building the vanity top, my honey had the idea to "rough up" the boards a bit to make the wood look old and used, like an old barn floor would look.  We started out with (4) 2 x 6 boards and used some chain and other tools to beat them up a bit.
diy master bathroom vanity
We may have went a little overboard and definitely took out our aggression on these poor boards, but this is what they looked like when we were done.  We used our hand sander and smoothed down all the rough areas so it would be safe for us to use daily.
diy master bathroom vanity
Its hard to tell in this picture, but the four big boards were all held together using 2 x 4s glued and screwed on to the already glued together 2 x 6s.  We use gorilla wood glue for all our wood working projects and it did a fine job sealing any gaps there may have been in between each of the 2 x 6s.
diy master bathroom vanity
To finish the vanity tops so they would last forever, I applied one coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain, then lightly sanded it with a very fine 220 sand paper.  Lastly I applied two coats of Minwax Polyurethane to seal the wood and guard against any water damage. We've been using these counter tops since 2011 and its test of "water-proof-ness" has very much been tried and still passes with flying colors.
diy master bathroom vanity
We used a standard white bowl sink.  I love the crisp white on the dark wood.  Its just so fresh and clean looking to me.  At the time, these sinks were the most inexpensive ones we could find locally and they have held up so nicely.  Even now, right after a good scrubbing, they still look new.
diy master bathroom vanity
We chose to use the oil rubbed bronze finish for our fixtures in our bathroom so of course we picked out some faucets to match.  This faucet wasn't really made for a bowl sink, but we made it work and they are still working great today!
diy master bathroom vanity
The sinks were added very easily with some clear silicone for bathrooms.  He added a nice bead along the bottom and then after he placed the sink in its spot, he made one bead around the bottom edge to seal out any water that may try and get through.
diy master bathroom vanity
You may have noticed the wall was a bit damaged after we removed the lovely blue swirl marble back splash so we added a little natural stone tile to create a fresh and clean look again.
diy master bathroom vanity
Lovely and oh so rustic looking.  Perfect for our little farmhouse theme in our home we've going on.
diy master bathroom vanity
I have listed links to all the original post about the processes of the vanity over on or blog if you'd like to see more pictures and get more details just click right here.
diy master bathroom vanity
We've done so much more in our master bathroom since the vanity project and if you'd like to, you can read about those projects by clicking over to our blog, link down below at the "GO" button. Thanks for looking! :)

DeeDee

• Stella Waugaman

Could this counter top be used in the kitchen? I'm wanting to add counter space but looking for a rustic counter idea, and this jumped out at me .

• DeeDee

Hi Stella! You totally could, but be really sure you seal it with several coats of poly because if your kitchen is like mine, it sees way more water than the bathroom does. :)

• William Delcher

Is there anyway to add a double sink in the master bathroom where I have a single sink diy of course

• Winkler

I really like this! Great improvement!

• Diana Deiley

Hi DeeDee, I enjoyed your bathroom makeover. Looks great. Gives me ideas for my mom's older mobile home master bathroom. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

• DeeDee

Hi Diana, thank you so much and good luck with your project! :)

• Sandra Frosch

My mother had a wood vanity top made. It was beautiful. The people the bought her house 20 years ago loved it too.