How doI keep a cat from using my flower bed for a litter box?

+6
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Jul 29, 2018
    put a box of moth balls in the flower bed, they will avoid it and look for other places to mark their territory, you may have to do it again before they quit checking to see if the moth balls will be there. Moth balls evaporate and do not harm the environment, but be careful of small children so they do not pick one up.
    • Stillshirl2003 Stillshirl2003 on Jul 30, 2018
      Thanks DesertRose, have used it in the past inside a container. I could get a good smell if the wind was right. It worked great to keep snakes and bugs out of my old house. I didn't have grand children around so I didn't feel it was a danger then, but I think I would now. Thanks
  • Betsy Betsy on Jul 30, 2018

Hi StillShirll: One thing you can do is to put those lava rocks into your flower bed. They come in various colours and cats don't like the feel of them under their feet and it's hard for them to dig in the rocks. You can spray the rocks with a mixture of 16 oz of water and a bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove Oil, same thing, in a spray bottle. Mix it well and spray it around your plants. It smells nice, but tastes horrible. It's non-toxic, so it won't hurt anything or any one. You can buy the oil at any candy making store or your local grocery store may carry it. It's about 2 inches tall and only costs a couple of bucks. The cats and other critters don't like the smell, and if they taste it, they will remember the smell and take off. Good luck!

I mixed tee tree, sweet orange and lemon along with a bit of olive oil and water. I sprayed twice yesterday when I caught the cat in my yard, I shooed him/it away. I am deathly allergic to cats, even non direct contact can cause an awful asthma attack. I will see how good the oils work.

• Melissa V Melissa V on Jul 30, 2018
    There is a black & white cat that roams our neighborhood-in all seasons! It has learned the art of camo by slipping behind peoples shrubs from door to door, and I’m guessing relieving itself in certain areas (I know some that even feed it).
    Anyway, my neighbor across the street keeps an impeccable yard. To get to her front hose she also has to get behind her shrubs and there is no way that cat or anything else is going to poop in her yard! I noticed she covered the entire area behind the shrubs and where she needs to walk with indoor/outdoor carpet! It’s great-it withstands weather, no critter can dig, it comes in many colors, and it’s inexpensive!
    Good luck 😼
  • Carol Wilson Carol Wilson on Jul 30, 2018

II put chicken wire right below the soil. Of course, that is easier to do before you plant. Then when you plant your plants, just use some snippers to cut away the wire where you are going to plant. Works great!

• Cheryl Gillman Cheryl Gillman on Jul 30, 2018

Pour tobacco sauce or anything with a strong smell like pepper/chile pepper etc around the garden and throughout the garden

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 30, 2018
    Oh, too bad you have cat allergies. They are such wonderful animals. A bit uppity at times, but good animals:) I hope this works for you, I know how much of a nuisance it can be.
  • Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 30, 2018

Moth balls