Budget friendly kitchen backsplash ideas?

VimarhonorRedcatcecPat
+9

I am looking for a good idea for kitchen backsplash. I tried stick on tiles they fall off. I’ve tried contact paper it falls off. I really cannot afford real tile and grout however I was considering putting some pieces of scrap pallet wood in that area. Perhaps even cutting the wood into even squares . What was the best way be to secure it Without a lot of mess? Liquid nails?

• Leesa Osborne
    Leesa Osborne

I found some on amazon that are self adhesive and look like real tile. I wipe them down all the time and still sticking.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

I used this brand peel and stick tile and it's not going anywhere! https://www.charlestoncrafted.com/2017/10/25/orc-hang-peel-stick-aspect-tile-accent-wall/

I also painted a faux tile backsplash. that was VERY budget friendly! https://www.charlestoncrafted.com/2014/03/19/brand-new-backsplash/

Good luck!!

• Lori
    Lori

I wonder why things keep falling down, is there any kind of moisture problem possibly? There is wallpaper that looks and feels like tile as well as the beautiful paintable wallpaper. I used that once and painted it navy and it looked gorgeous and held up well. I did spray a clear laquer on the sink section and stove section.

There are good ideas with pictures on Pinterest of painting on backsplashes. This is a fun job, enjoy. :)

• Cindy
    Cindy

I recently read post where a homeowner used a set of blinds to make her back splash. She cut off the ends with holes that were used for strings on blinds. She glued the remaining slats on her back splash with staggering seams. It looked just like ship lab. Looked really great and inexpensive.

• Sherri
    Sherri

Valerie, all the techniques you used are good solutions. I don't think that's where your problem lies. What is the finish on your wall? Maybe if you gave it a light sanding and primer before you use one of those techniques it may solve the problem. If it does work, I'd give it a few days before putting on a sealer. Good luck.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Is your Splashback area uneven or damp, Is that the reason the sticky stuff keeps falling off? If you have a damp area or no ventilation, I shouldn't use wood! You might be able to use No More Nails o secure a laminated board to the walls though?

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

I use Titebond Power Grab. when I attach items to the wall. IT comes in a caulking tube. Add a bead near the edges and push onto wall. You can probably find tiles that are cheaper than the effort to add pallet wood. The wood needs to be sealed to prevent moisture damage. Tile cane be grouted with a grout that comes in a caulking tube.

• Pat
    Pat

My son used bead board as his back splash....I think nailed it up or used liquid nails but you could glue it then paint it any color you want.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Can you cut pieces of very thin plywood or plexiglass and attach that to the backsplash area, then apply the peel and stick to the wood or plexiglass?