Orange tomotoes cracking ?

+10

What is possible reason for these tomotoes getting these kind of cut?

q orange tomotoes cracking
  • Oliva Oliva on Jul 30, 2018

Insufficient water, insufficient calcium (eggshells), insufficient magnesium (Epsom salts).

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 30, 2018
    Hi Parv: The skin of a tomato grows at a different rate than the inside. If the tomatoes get excessive water, the inside grows too fast for the skin resulting in the cracked skin. This is more pronounced when there is heavy rain following a prolonged period of hot dry weather. While the problem can't be completely resolved, there is one trick which helps to reduce the cracking. When you first plant the tomatoes you should water the heavily for several days. This tricks the plant into "thinking" it's a wet climate and will 'allow' the skin to expand a little further. This requires some trial and error because if you over do it with the watering the cracks will appear earlier. Tomatoes are so finicky:) But they taste so much better than hot house tomatoes:) Here's a site that may help you with this: http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-cracks.html Good luck
  • Pam Kneebone Pam Kneebone on Jul 31, 2018

Too much rain that tomato can't grow that fast. Harvest asap.

• Nekko8 Nekko8 on Jul 31, 2018
    I agree with Betsy. Also, if you water when the skin is warm, it will split. Don’t allow water to hit the skin.
  • Rose Work Rose Work on Jul 31, 2018
    Too much water. And always use a soaker hose to water tomatoes.
  • Dori B Dori B on Jul 31, 2018
    Over watering will cause this. I used to stop watering when they began to ripen and let the bush die. I always got big plump tomatoes. When I stripped the bush of all the green tomatoes left on it, I'd put them into a paper bag and they would all ripen within days. Never lost one.
  • Parv Parv on Jul 31, 2018
    Thank you all so much for your kind time, it was raining for many days continues i think that was the main reason I remove all cracked tomatoes already. Ones again thank you so much.
  • Debbie Debbie on Jul 31, 2018

Mine do that when they have started to just turn and we get a rain.I think the skin gets thinner when they start to turn and then we get rain and they get a growth spurt and spilt.When I know it’s gonna rain I pick everything that’s beginning to turn.

• Vivian martin Vivian martin on Aug 01, 2018
    Splitting, too much rain/watering.
  • Diane Coverdale Diane Coverdale on Aug 01, 2018
    Along with the too much rain/water, you probably had an immediate sunny period, like any summer day. That made the tomato grow too fast and split the skin.

• MEG MEG on Aug 01, 2018
    Too much water-they are water-logged. Also don't let them lie on the ground. Stake them up off the ground-not touching the dirt so that the air circulates the entire tomato. Laying on the ground creates splitting/skin rot.
  • Kate Kate on Aug 01, 2018

the season was dry, then you had several rains...tomatoes are mostly water and expansion internally, skin not so

• Excessive water after a period without rain/water. If you went head and harvested them, they should still taste okay. :)