Victoria Larsen Stencils
Victoria Larsen Stencils
  • Los Lunas, NM

A Flea Market Chaise Turns Elegant With Easy Technique Secret

I found it at the flea market one sunny Saturday. I've always loved Chaise lounges. They remind me of 1930's black and white movies where some starlet like Jean Harlow drapes herself across one. I lugged it home in the back of my car, eager to get started!
a flea market chaise turns elegant with easy technique secret, painted furniture, reupholster
Super cheap fabric made it rather unsightly, but the construction was wonderful!
Fusible web was the secret to re-covering this chaise. I simply chose high quality upholstery fabric then cut fusible web to fit each section of the chaise (back, arms, sides). I laid the fusible web on to the former covering and ironed in to place. Removing the paper backing, then cutting the fabric to the same shape, laid it over the web and ironed in to place. Fold in any seams and stick in to place to hold.
Small detailing such as folding the excess material at the front of the arms inward, then adding a gold button increased the beauty of the job. A hot glue gun and fringe created the bottom detail.
Seat cushions were covered in exactly the same way to create a rather lovely, high quality piece for my master bedroom. I love projects like this! And it doesn't have to be hard or expensive.

• Wendy

Looks good but how does it hold up to use?

• GeeJudy

@Wendy my question exactly

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

It's now been 7 years since I did this chase and it's holding up perfectly! It's now in my new master bedroom and I love it with all the fever I did the first day I completed it. The fusible web holds up GREAT!

• AvonelleRed

I don't understand what it is you are saying you did with the fusible webbing. You ironed it onto the OLD piece, but then also ironed the NEW fabric onto it? Are you saying you still have the old fabric underneath the new fabric?

• Hbo18523046

I don’t understand how you did the seams.

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

I laid the bottom and cushions on the floor over the top of the fabric then cut the fabric 2" larger than the cushions. I used my sewing machine to sew them together with 1" seams. Hope that helps!