Old Dresser Makeover Turns Into Great Piece of Furniture

$80

I finally found some muse (and free time) to transform an outdated dresser I had purchased at the flea market into an outstanding piece of furniture.

Even though my husband wasn’t that positive about the result, I was brave enough to work on it thanks to the fact that my granddad used to be a professional furniture renewer.

He was a true craftsman who put his heart in everything he was doing. 
Clean the surface

The first thing you have to do is to clean the surface from dust and stains.
Apply the white paint

It’s best to apply 2 shots of the white paint to get a nice saturated result.
Apply the other color paint unevenly

Next step is to apply the other color only in certain places.

For my dresser, I’ve chosen the blue-green paint in order to give a vintage vibe to the new piece of furniture.
Give it some time

After applying the paint, wait until it dries out, preferably for 24 hours.

Afterwards, you should apply the dark wax to the entire chest to get this effect.

For all the beginner DIYers, here are some steps to follow when applying a dark wax:
  1. Use a smaller wax brush (   once you use it for wax applying, you don’t have to use it for painting)
  2. Move the brush in all directions, making sure that you get the wax into the atom of the wood as you go. Keep working into the wax while it is still wet.
  3. Use an old fabric to remove the overload wax.

Leave overnight and glaze the wax with a fabric the next day to achieve a high shine.
Final touch

And finally, I highly recommend to sand down the chapels and the wood carving with a Fine (150-180) sandpaper.
The interior of the dresser is also painted with 2 shots of chalk paint (to create a chalky appearance) and a colorless wax on top.

For those of you who are not that well informed, the wax usage is required when painting with chalk paint to seal the color and keep water and moisture from getting in the finish.

The chalk paint lacks a sealer itself. Before applying the wax, make sure the paint is completely dry.

Materials used:
  • Chalk paint / Americana decor
  • Dark Wax / Americana Decor
  • Brush
  • Shrimp

You can choose other colors to mix and you will get amazing results. Just get an old dresser and start experimenting until you create your own masterpiece.

That's all! I hope you like it! :)

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Decor Home Ideas

• Kelly J. Tinney

I’m confused. Are they the same piece? It’s solid white and then it’s not.

• Leslie

It is the same piece. I am impressed because I do not like most painted furniture. The painted white areas were gone over with the dark wax, the look of wood was from the brush strokes. The designs and the darker areas have also been gone over with the dark wax. I am not sure about the hardware but she might have done same with that but in a more covered application. Hope this clarifies.

• Laurie Happnie Siders

How did this piece go from painted with two “shots” of white chalk paint to not painted? Even the hardware was painted and then all of a sudden it wasn’t? This is confusing. There are definitely some steps missing.

• Kelie

I see know! I guess at that point why not sand the wood that you want to keep that color, tape and paint/wax then seal the raw wood 😉🤔

• Joanne Anderson

Hi - it looks like you finished it one way, and then decided to add more paint. Is the final picture before the white chalk paint? The pics depict two different ways of finishing the same piece (one fully chalk painted and then waxed - the other partly painted with hardware left original, etc). Please clarify. Also chapel? shrimp? assuming these are typos? Not quite clear on what you meant there.