Make my bathtub/shower safe easy-to-use for a disabled lady ?

+5

I'm disabled and i need help with my bathroom. What is the cheapest way to make my bathtub/shower safe easy-to-use? I can't afford a walk in tub that will allow me to sit down and shower or bathe safely.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

• Betty Albright-Bistrow Betty Albright-Bistrow on Aug 02, 2018

My sister has disabilities as she grows older. They put metal hand grips on both sides of the shower, and they also put a non slip mat down. Take a look at this shower bench: https://www.homehealthsuperstore.com/products/bamboo-bath-seat-and-shower-chair Also you might want to think about installing a new shower head with an attached shower head -- check Amazon or Home Depot for prices.

• Frank Andrews III Frank Andrews III on Aug 02, 2018

If you qualify, you may be able to get a shower chair.

It will straddle the side of the tub so you can sit on the outside and slide into the tub. They also have stick on grab bars that will help you to climb over the tub side. The legs on the chair are height adjustable so it will be easier to stand and sit. There are places where you can get extra help.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Aug 02, 2018
    Hi Deborah this is Peggy. You may contact the disabled ladies primary care physician and he may be able to help with some expenses like a shower chair or bars to hold on to. You can also set a walker over the side of the tub (on a non skid mat) great for holding on to. Sometimes you can also get shower chairs at good will, just takes some cleaning. Good luck to you.
  • Dfm Dfm on Aug 02, 2018

You need a place to sit when showering/ bathing, there are shower stools to use and transfer boards that bridge the gap between side of tub and chair, if needed. There are hand rails that clamp on to the side of the tub, to steady your self getting in and out. Gripper strips on the bottom of the tub for traction. Add a hand held shower attachment to your tub, so you don’t loose your balance and slip....there are many models to choose from. If you have a cell phone, put it in a plastic zip bag and keep where you can get to it, put on your Christmas list a water proof carrier for your phone. Get a model that boaters use..it floats the phone, but you can still dial it. I found mine at a sporting goods store. If you are using a cane or walker...get rid of the throw rugs on the floor. Add hand rails the length of the tub.

about those walk in tubs....you need to be in it as it fills up. It takes a while to fill...and the water gets cold.

you may be able to get a government grant to get the needed items installed. Worth making a few calls. If your doctor will give you a prescription for them, your health insurance may cover your costs for the equipment.

• Dfm Dfm on Aug 02, 2018

Hand rails the length of the tub, on the far wall. Cats...what can I say..

• I suggest you go to a local medical supply store and see what great things they have to help all sorts of people with medical issues. We got my mom a shower chair and different grab bars, They were so helpful.