Acts of Kindness Was My Inspiration for This Pallet Sign!

$0

I have seen so many videos of people doing acts of kindness lately that last week before this challenge was announced I had made a new wall sign to hang by the front door! Some of the videos I had seen like the police officer who helped shave a homeless man's face so he could apply for a job, the young boy who helped an elderly woman with a walker up a flight of stairs, the woman who carried a hurt, lost dog out of the wilderness for miles or the young man who pushed a disabled person home for about a mile when her electric wheelchair ran out of juice!!! Just so kind and asked for nothing in return! I hope everyone does something kind everyday, our world needs it!!
I go through a pile of pallet wood, like this one here, in no time at all! This sign is the last of that pile!
I didn't take a lot of pictures because I wasn't planning on posting this sign until I saw what the challenge was and I thought "Wow I just made a sign of inspiration!"  Perfect timing!!
Three pieces of wood will be good for this one!

Make sure you sand it down! I use a palm sander and sometimes adhesive too, along with nails or screws. It really depends on the wood and weight.
The sign can be as long or wide as you want it to be! Sometimes I will nail the braces on the back or screw them in. It really depends on how heavy the wall art/sign will be. The signs above were nailed because they were small in size and light in weight.
I screwed in the braces on this one, it is a bit heavy. I also predrill holes for the screws so the wood won't split!
I was looking for something positive and I knew I had a stencil that would be perfect for what I wanted! I have used more stencils lately than ever before! I think they are so easy to use!  
Before I stenciled I painted the sign green and blue, let dry then added some white, let dry again. I then sanded down some parts here and there.
I used stencil brushes, the stencil and mod podge first before I applied the paint to the stencil. Made sure I made a few marks so I could line up the stencil right for painting. I mod podged the stencil first, lift, let it dry then lined up the stencil back over my marks. Less paint on the brush when stenciling is always better even with the mod podge it could bleed, so I dab the brush several times before I apply the paint.
Then I stenciled the words with some of the colors I had already used , let dry again because I didn't want to smear the words. Last step are the little stenciled medallions! It seems like a lot of steps but I did it all in one morning! Oh and I added two "D" rings on the back to hang and sealed with a clear gloss spray paint!
I will put this by the front door just to remind myself and others that "You will never regret being kind", whether it is to a person, animal, the earth or yourself!
Thanks for looking at my inspirational message/sign! Any comments or questions are always welcomed!!

• Gail

How do you make your stencils? Beautiful. Great idea.

• Jennifer

Thank you so much Gail but I didn't make the stencil. It came in a package of, I think 24 heavy stock paper stencils. I got them a while back (year or so) from amazon and have only used 3 but plan on using more soon! I'm pretty sure the package was under $10! What a great deal if you are careful with them because they are paper! I don't stencil much so they are great for me to use a few times

• Lorraine Hartman

How do you use the mod podge on the stencil? I want to learn this. Thanks.

• Jennifer

I don't have pictures of this but I can try to talk you through the process First lay your stencil down then use painter's tape to hold it in place while you mod podge. I use stifle brushes or makeup foam wedges to dab the mod podge over the stencil, then I mark where the stencil is placed with a tiny dot or a small thin line so I can line it up right when I paint. Lift up the stencil slowly and set it to the side and let the mod podge dry some. I then line up the stencil using the marks I made then tape it down again. Less paint the better when stenciling so you will have to go over the stencil a few times with the brush or wedge. Depending on how big of an area you are painting inside the stencil is how I determine the size of the brush I use with the stencil above I used the small and medium brushes to add paint and a wedge for the mod podge. Try to bad and tap the paint off the brush and I dab off the with the wedge too. Try to practice on some paper before you do the real project! I hope that helps and you could follow those steps. If you have any questions just ask and I'll look for some pictures for you! Stifle brushes and makeup wedges (makeup wedges are cheaper and just as good as artistic painting wedges). Have fun!!