June Garden After A Wicked Winter

After a brutal winter that seemed to go on forever, my garden is finally coming back to life. Some of the blooms are about a month later than usual and I lost a few plants from the unusually cold weather.
Buy happy days are here again and I've got garden fever like never before. Anyone else?
Garden art and annuals plus an old gate
Garden art and annuals plus an old gate
When perennials are slow to bloom, it's time to bust out the annuals and surround them with garden art!
Herb garden on the patio
Herb garden on the patio
I keep my herb garden in containers on the covered patio. Every night before dinner I find a few things to snip for the meal.
It's hummer time!
It's hummer time!
This has been a great year for hummingbirds in my garden. Keep those feeders clean with fresh sugar water (1 cup sugar and 4 cups water, boiled and cooled), and they will keep coming back.
Poetry in flowers
Poetry in flowers
No wonder some artists devote their lives to painting these beauties. Irises light up the spring garden when all the other flowers are yet to bloom.
Old martin birdhouse
Old martin birdhouse
This is my favourite yard sale find so far this year. I have wanted a martin house for years but often the price is very high. I was so smitten I handed over my $15 without haggling.
Eye-popping dianthus
Eye-popping dianthus
Old maple sap buckets make great planters. Just drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage and cover the bottom with window screen.
Empress of Dirt - Melissa

• Rochester Gal

Very pretty and creative! I live in Western NYS and the gardens are behind by about 1.5 weeks due to the winter, the lilacs were still blooming in early June! My peonies have not bloomed yet, but I am waiting patiently. We lost 2 Emerald Boxwood Shrubs due to the winter and they need to be replanted. The weather did not seem to affect the hosta at all.

• York Gardener

Why did you put hardware cloth over the entries to the Martin house?

• @York Gardener It's an old martin house with a lot of debris inside and it is impossible to clean out (there are no no hinged lids). Nesting boxes should be cleaned every year to prevent the spread of disease between birds. Also, it's displayed near the ground right now (not on a pole) so every bird, chipmunk and mouse are interested in moving in but they would be very vulnerable to predators. For now it is a garden art item.