DIY Reusable Clorox Wipes (That REALLY Match the Original Ingredients!

$1

I’ve been asked about this from readers, and I’m finally sharing it today! DIY Reusable Clorox Wipes that really match the ingredients of the original ones!

One of my favorite things to do as a chemist is examine cleaning ingredients, then match them up to make a homemade solution.

These homemade ones work just as good, have almost the same ingredients (minus some unnecessary ones), plus you can just wash
diy reusable clorox wipes that really match the original ingredients
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of water
  • 2 tbsp dawn dishwashing detergent (using NON-concentrated for this, read WHY in post link under surfactant)
  • 4 tbsp lemon infused alcohol (It needs to be lemon for the best benefits)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 20 drops of lemon oil (Optional, but will match ingredients better)
  • 32 oz plastic jar with lid
  • Cloths (can be microfiber or regular, also try old T-shirts!)

If you would like to know WHY we use these ingredients and information on possible substitutes, PLEASE CLICK BLOG LINK BELOW!
Directions:
  1. Add rags or clothes to your plastic jar with lid.
  2. In a bowl, mix up the ingredients and stir until baking soda is dissolved.
  3. Add to the jar of rags. You want this to cover the rags, so make sure to stir it around well.

Tip: You can easily double the recipe to meet the needs of your jar. Just keep the ratios the same. If you like more solution, add less clothes. If you want this to be like it comes from the store, add just enough liquid to cover everything  Check out photos below for photos of each one.
How to Use:

Just pull out a cloth to clean any area you’d like. This is safe for ALL surfaces! Once you are done using, just throw it in the washing machine.

If Using on Glass:

This can be used on glass stove tops, just be sure to wipe off with microfiber cloth!

Not recommended for mirrors!

How Often to Change Liquid:

Please click on post below for the details on changing the liquid!

How the Ingredients Actually Match Up!

Water

According to The Clorox Company, water is one of the main ingredients in their wipes. Water is an underrated item in homemade solutions, but it is a great solvent. It makes the perfect base for homemade cleaners.

For citric acid, Isopropyl Alcohol, D-Limonene, and the rest of the ingredients click here!

• Water  (home)
  • Dawn Dishwashing Liquid  (Store)
  • Lemon isopropyl alcohol  (home)
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Victoria Westmoreland

Does the alcohol take the place of the bleach? Does this disinfect?

• Carey

I went to the Dollar store and bought some "disposable" wipes that I have used over and over by putting them through the washer as needed to clean. Stains DO NOT remain on them so no matter what you clean with them, they still come out looking clean. With washing they become a bit softer but that is no problem. I discovered that the original Clorox wipe container still had solution in the bottom after I finished using the wipes out of it, so I placed the reusable wipes in the container and within a day they were moist with the solution and worked very well the same way. You could use this solution recipe in that original container as well. I really like that I don't have to do a lot of wringing out the liquid to use the clothes, so I would make just enough to moisten the wipes well.

• Vicki Brumfield

I have tried making homemade wipes before and they have molded. I have used heavy duty paper towels though. Would that have made the difference

• To prevent mold, the best thing is to make sure there is liquid covering all the towels. Since there aren’t preservatives in it like the store-bought version, anything exposed can cause mold, so heavy liquid usually helps. I have a photo of that above :)

• Vicki Brumfield

Can hydrogen peroxide be used in place if the alcohol?

• Jodi Clark

if you are using lemon essential oil, I recommend not using a plastic container. The lemon will break down the plastic. Other than that, this looks awesome!

• Cco33769419