Let's Make a Rusty Wall Light!

$60
1 Week

That's right! Rust!

The second I finished my 'paper clay brick wall project', I knew I wanted to make a faux rusty wall light. You can check out my paper clay brick wall project here:

https://www.hometalk.com/38218367/paper-clay-brick-wall

This is the finished wall light and I LOVE how it looks! I'm a huge fan of faux finishes and I'm going to show you a super easy way to create this faux rust finish.

Fun fact: I'm such a dumb-dumb, I used to say fox! Like, way into my 30's. Just a dude in his 30's walking around town talking about fox finishes. Lucky for me, someone heard it, fell on the ground laughing hysterically and corrected me after catching their breath.

This is the before picture!

This is an easy way to create a 'fox' finish.

1- Paint the base color. (prime if needed)

*Mix just a little joint compound into the colors for an extra grainy look.

2- Dab on some yellow, orange and if you're fancy red. Let it dry.

3- Wipe on some antique medium with a rag and then wipe it off with a damp rag. Don't wipe too much off of the dab colors.

4- Add some base color over the dab colors. Let it dry.

5- Wipe on and then off more antique medium until you get what you're going for.

It's as easy as that.

Antique medium is also called, antique glaze, antique liquid or just glaze. It's probably called other stuff too. Check out Amazon or head to your local paint shop.

Razzle-Dazzle Time!

Heat gun fun y'all. Use a heat gun to get the crackle, bubbly look.

I used a Japanese brand of antique liquid. There are oil-based and water-based types and I prefer the oil-based. It's easier to work with and I think it looks better.

Let's paint the wall light!

Here we go:

1- I took the light apart and removed the glass.

2- I primed it with a primer similar to Kilz.

3- I mixed a little joint compound and black paint together and painted the light twice.

I painted this the same way as I demonstrated on wood earlier.

Check out these color names! I love them! I used a local Japanese paint brand and any paint brand should work for you.

The light switch!

*Use caution with electricity!

These are PVC conduit fittings I bought in the lighting section of my local home center. I ended up running the wall light cord between the bricks to an outlet. I didn't need these fittings, but thought they'd look cool. I was right...I'm a genius!...fox finish..

All finished!

Wow!

Thanks for reading!

For more fun crafts and projects and stuff, check me out on Facebook and Instagram.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Lyn

Love your fox finish!!! 🤣🤣🦊🦊

my hubby used to call the start of a gravy (roux), “ROW””!!! LOL. OH WELL, live and learn! Amiright??!!!

• Lynda

Yes I can't wait till morning to take my light down and try this! Thank you