DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

How to Paint Chairs the Easiest Way

$25

Remember here when I painted my dining room table and I told you we were missing a chair? I searched and searched with no luck. Well, my Mama reminded me that our chairs from my childhood were pretty much just like mine? "Oh yeah", I said! Luckily My sweet Mama keeps everything and she still had two chairs that were usable. Score!
how to paint chairs the easiest way
Here's one of our chairs and one of Mama's chairs.  Can you see the slight differences?  They are pretty close so I chose to use two of ours and two of Mama's so that there was somewhat of a uniform situation going on around the table.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
So here's the finished table with our mis-matched chairs.  After the table makeover I wanted to get the chairs done ASAP!  For one, I didn't like that all the chairs didn't match and two, the chairs and table top were way off in color now and it seriously bugged me!
how to paint chairs the easiest way
Mama's chairs and our chairs all needed a bit of sturdying up, so I got out my Gorilla Wood Glue and got to work!
how to paint chairs the easiest way
The first thing I did was to clean each chair really well with Murphy's soap and warm water.  After I made sure they were dry, I got to work with first applying the primer.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
After brushing the primer on the first chair, I was seriously wondering what I had gotten myself into.  There were so many nooks and crannies on these chairs and it took me what seemed like forever to do one chair.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
But I pushed on and did the other three.  At this rate this project was going to take me days!  I'm about the most impatient person you'll ever meet and I wanted them done now! :)

About a week prior, I had asked my honey bun if I could used the paint sprayer to paint these chairs and he said it would be no problem, but I had never used the sprayer before and he was busy doing other things, so.........
how to paint chairs the easiest way
We got out our sprayer and assembled it.  We (he) has already used this little guy so much to do so many things inside our home!  It was inexpensive and it works great!  Its the Graco Spraystation 3900 that we purchased at Lowe's several years ago.

Of course I used the same paint I used on the table base.  I chose, Olympic ONE.  It's a paint and primer all in one.  I got it from Lowe's and the color is Atrium White.  It's an interior flat paint.  I chose flat because I knew I was going to distress it and make it look old and worn and also the sealer I use has a slight satin finish to it.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
My honey was sweet enough to stop what he was doing and create a spray station for me in our little tool shed and then demonstrate for me.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
Next, I gave it a whirl!  It's way easier than I expected and now I'm hooked and want to paint all the things!  Just follow the directions that come with your machine as to how to operate the sprayer and get the best results for your project.  I did thin my paint ever so slightly with water to make it easier to spray on.  I set a timer for 15 minutes to let it dry, then I was able to move them back over to the patio for the next step.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
The sprayer was so much faster than brushing on the paint and the end result was flawless!  I'm going to be using this prayer from now on!
how to paint chairs the easiest way
Spray painted on the left and primer only on the right.  Huge difference!
how to paint chairs the easiest way
Now for the distressing which will also match the table base. To see my method of applying the glaze, please visit our blog.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
On the left is just plain old paint, which is lovely and you could leave it just like that, but I preferred to distress mine to match the table base.  The distressed chair is obviously on the right.
how to paint chairs the easiest way
All distressed and ready for a sealer.  You do not want to skip the sealer step because normally chairs are used on the daily and will get lots of handling and torture, especially if you have kids!

I like the Valspar Clear Protector for faux finishes.  It seriously looks like glue and dries quickly and it last!
how to paint chairs the easiest way
Like my "new" pantry screen door, I can't stop admiring my "new" table and chairs either!  I love them!  What color would you paint your dining room table and chairs?

If you visit our blog at the link below, you can see the names and pictures of all the products I used in this project. Thanks for looking! :)

DeeDee

• Mvo24607702

How are the chairs holding up from use? I'd be concerned that the wood wasn't sanded or the "gloss" knocked down before priming. I would think the paint might scrape off with daily use.

• DeeDee

Hi there! The primer I used is made for this situation. EXAMPLE: You have a stained piece of furniture with a "gloss" on it, no need for sanding or striping, just apply the Primer and it seals it all in for you! This stuff is awesome!!! :)

• Phyllis Virga

I thought to "distress" ment you made marks on the chairs, like dents and scratches? Those chairs look like when you put the primer on them. Is doing "distress" a paint or top coat?

• DeeDee

Hi Phyllis! Distressing can be many different techniques. In this case I used a glaze to distress the chairs. Click the "Go" button right up above here to see the entire step by step process on our blog. :)

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

Very cute. I was not to use any product with oils in it to clean the piece before painting it. I wipe mine down thoroughly with a rag dampened in rubbing alcohol. Have you heard this?

• DeeDee

Hi Teresa! No I have not heard that before but thanks for the tip! :)

• Lissette

I love the soft table and chair in contrast with the bold colors in the resr of the kitchen. I have many pieces to do through out the house but I am paralized by the color choices. Well done job.

• Lissette

I am in the pricess of doing something similar.