Clean a toilet- Someone has used it for an ashtray, stained badly!

+20

When we moved to new house our toilets were a mess. We have tried all types of cleaners and even efferdent denture cleaner. HELP

q clean a toilet someone has used it for a ashtray stained badly
  • By Brittany Goldwyn By Brittany Goldwyn on Aug 06, 2018

As much as I hate using it...have you tried bleach? :(

• 2dogal 2dogal on Aug 06, 2018

A Pumice Stone will remove the discoloration and any mineral deposits on the porcelain.

• Darlene Chilcoat Darlene Chilcoat on Aug 06, 2018

Thanks. I have tried bleach but not a pumice stone. Thanks for infro.

• Peggy Peggy on Aug 07, 2018

Try the works, bowl cleaner. Or Lysol black front. For rust! It will remove anything. Use green scrubbing pad. Scothch...

• Sal3170064 Sal3170064 on Aug 07, 2018

Try a limestone cleaner.

You need to use something that will scrape off the limescale. I remember my niece had the same problem. I think a small chisle was used, not to put any force on to it,but used as a scraper.

• Robert Schauer Robert Schauer on Aug 07, 2018

Have you tried muriatic acid?

• Nicholas Southard Nicholas Southard on Aug 07, 2018

the works is the best removes all stain in 2 minutes !

• Lauragauthier Lauragauthier on Aug 07, 2018

You should remove all of the water and fill with Coke. Let it sit in the toilet for a few hours and periodically use a brush to hit the areas above the water level.

• Darlene Chilcoat Darlene Chilcoat on Aug 07, 2018

Thanks,

• Betty Betty on Aug 07, 2018

I use a pumice stone before I got a water softener. .we had hard water and a lot of lime .we have a well on our property . The pumice stone work well for me. .didn't scratch toilet bowl. .got at Wal-Mart for about two dollars. .same thing you can use on your feet. .Good luck. .

• Queen Queen on Aug 07, 2018

Years ago I lived in an apartment that had a small drip in the tub which ended up a big, big stain, tried everything to no avail, went so far as to steal wood it. Then I purchased a product called Sno Bol, when I squirted it on the mark, the stain just rolled off, no scrubbing. Last time I purchased it, I had to sign for it, don't really know why. Your bowl looks like mine does now if I don't use Clorox bleach tablets in the tank (not the blue ones they stain everything in sight). I know you aren't suppose to use bleach but can't stand the stain which can come from the very next flush. (it also helps keep the gnats from coming up the sewer vents in basement or laundry room) Think it is mold that gathers under the lip of the bowl, these new toilets cause more problems then they are worth. I do have to replace the flapper more often then on the older toilets, but am willing to pay the price. Good luck hope it works.

• Pic29235415 Pic29235415 on Aug 07, 2018

I also use the pumice stone, and it works great. The last time I was in the janitorial supply store, they showed me another product. It looks like a small very thin sponge with black screen on one side. The screen looking stuff is a pumice. It’s very flexible and easier to work with than a pumice stone. I would start with a pumice stone and fine-tune it with the sponge.

• Debbie Debbie on Aug 07, 2018
    I have a rental house.. The last people tore it up.. I used the works cheap and easy to use. a few times looks nice now.. good luck
  • Bernice Hercules Bernice Hercules on Aug 07, 2018

People suck! I hope you have a clean toilet now!

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think we are going to go for the pumice for one toilet. Might try coke in the other. We let one know which one works. I hope the coke does. Less work.

• Connie Connie on Aug 07, 2018

Try Ring-O! It works very good on stains!!!

• Sandra Sandra on Aug 08, 2018

Rustaide or Iron Out from Home Depot

• Tanya Tanya on Aug 08, 2018

Absolutely! Iron Out is amazing! Sno-Bol and The Works (all available at Wal-Mart, all Cheap compared to other commercial cleaners.

• Lisa Lisa on Aug 15, 2018

The Works from Walmart. It's less than 3 bucks for a nice size bottle and does wonders.

• William William on Sep 07, 2018

My ex used The Works in our master toilet. It actually etched the porcelain coating. Now the toilet gets stained quicker and worse. She did not use it in the half bath toilet which gets more use it does not stain as the one cleaned with The Works. Muriatic acid will also etch. It's used to etch concrete for staining.

• Che12891086 Che12891086 on Sep 07, 2018

I would recommend rust out. It's in a brown bottle and made by "Wink". It is recommended on the bottle for toilets. I even use it on white clothes with rust stains. It works like magic. A little pricy, a little over $6.00, but wort the money. Good Luck!

• Darlene Chilcoat Darlene Chilcoat on Sep 08, 2018

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I found Lysol toilet cleaner in Dollar store. It has worked the best so far. Need to work on it a little bit more, but see a huge improvement.