DIY Large Wall Hanging

$25

I’ve been a little bit crazy for wall hangings for the past couple years. I have them all over my house and have given many as gifts. I’ve been wanting a new wall hanging and figured out the easiest way to make one. This diy large wall hanging turned out amazing and was so much faster than weaving one. Who knew a woven rug could be turned into something so beautiful?
diy large wall hanging
diy large wall hanging
I had this 2'x3' woven rug and decided to use this as the backing to my wall hanging. I just ordered this more colorful rug and will use it to make another wall hanging.
diy large wall hanging
I used a ruler to draw some light lines where I wanted the main area’s to be. I “styled” the yarn three different ways on this rug.
diy large wall hanging
Choose yarn in different colors and sizes.
diy large wall hanging
Style 1: Sew chunky yarn in lines with a straight stitch.
diy large wall hanging
diy large wall hanging
Use the straight stitched yarn to create patterns or designs. I also used a toothpick to fluff up some of the smaller yarn.
diy large wall hanging
Style 2: Bunch up chunky yarn (in a zig zag pattern) with a straight line sewn through it. This creates little loops.
diy large wall hanging
diy large wall hanging
Style 3: Sew equal lengths of yarn straight down the middle. This creates the fun hanging pieces.
(This yarn is my favorite for the hanging pieces because it adds so much character)
diy large wall hanging
diy large wall hanging
You can get as creative as you want when it comes to sewing the yarn onto the rug. My rug came with tassels on the ends, so I stuck my wooden dowel through them and hung on the wall.
diy large wall hanging
What do you guys think?
Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

• Katie

Absolutely great! You've given me new reason to browse the aisles of yarn at Hobby Lobby.

How did you adhere the fringe at the top to the wall? I noted that it stands up, rather than droop.

• Eliza Spear

Very creative

• Jwa24333607

Very cool. Your color choices are fabulous. Now you’ve inspired me to make one for over my solid green couch. Thanks so much for sharing your tapestry