Mom & Dad's Dated Master Bedroom Facelift

$800
2 Weeks

Today I'm sharing the face lift we gave my mom and dad's master bedroom! Here are the before photos...not terrible, but not inspiring, either. And dated. And cluttered. Mom wanted something that was a bit more modern. (I'm rubbing off on her!)

The very first thing we did was go through everything in the room and got rid of a TON. Several bags went to the Goodwill, which felt great. Then they emptied the room and had the carpet stretched and cleaned. It's in great shape, it was just buckling in some areas.

Next we painted over those lilac walls. Mom's favorite color is purple, so we decided to do a bold deep purple accent wall. The color is Quixotic Plum by Sherwin-Williams. We used Sherwin-Williams Basalt Powder for the room's main color. The paint made such a difference.

Mom decided to get a new mattress, so new furniture wasn't in the budget. We painted Sherwin-Williams Grizzle Gray on the old furniture and two thrifted nightstands we found. (The old nightstands wouldn't fit with the new layout they wanted for the bed.)

I used my paint sprayer for most of this, which was very helpful. I also put a few coats of polycrylic on the tops of each piece since they've be subject to more wear and tear. We also added new hardware.

Then we mounted their TV on a wall they could see from their bed (TV is way too big IMO, but my dad got his way on that one, and whatever makes him happy makes me happy), touched up trim, set the new bed up, hung new curtains, did a little shopping, and we were done!

(Note: One thing you'll also notice in the after pics below is that my dad put in a window. This is no small task and was decided on after I had painted. He is a general contractor and can whip this stuff out pretty easily—he is amazing!)

My mom and dad are so happy with how it turned out, so I am, too! I love the deep purple. Totally different from what I would do in my house, which is mostly neutrals.

For more, including making over the trunk and turning it into a bench, a ton of photos, and a detailed source list, I'd love to have you visit the original post here and linked below!

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Christie Haun

LOVE the new room and must say, Well Done!

My question....WHAT did you do with that gorgeous dressing/vanity, mirrored table?????

I have been looking for one of those for 40 years! My sister got our grandmother's (she also nabbed our great-grandmother's Steamer Trunk!), and left me with trinkets! :(

Just curious....and still yearning for one.

• By Brittany Goldwyn

Hi! Yes, we kept it, it's still in the room! It is a family heirloom piece, so we didn't do anything to it but update the knobs :)

• Dorothy Sittler

I really like the outcome. I too am missing the vanity! Did I miss it in your final photo?

• Dorothy Sittler

A vanity is called that because of being able to sit there and vainly put your face on with ease. A dresser helps to get dressed.

• Patti Price

How did you prep the furniture before painting? I love the way this room came out.

• Lisa West

It's amazing what a little paint can do to change a space. Y bn is room has romance and confines to it. Love the color palette as well. Purple is also one of my favorite colors. Look great and ya'll did a great job. Thank you for sharing.

• Erin Bronleewe Stansbury

Bravo excellent job!