How to prevent snails eating my plants?

+8
  • Ann Ann on Aug 07, 2018

Sprinkle your used coffee grounds and crushed egg shells on the ground around the plant that the snails are attacking. The crushed egg shells cut them and hurt them. I forgot what the coffee grounds do, but I would imagine that it sticks to their slimey bodies and isn’t pleasant. Others have put out shallow containers of beer for their cousins, the slugs. They crawl in, get drunk and can’t crawl out.

• Katelyn Katelyn on Aug 07, 2018
    Hi Betty, this Hometalker seems to use coffee grounds to help prevent snails from eating plants, check it out! https://www.hometalk.com/1667195/use-your-old-coffee-grounds-in-the-garden
  • Bzm11686139 Bzm11686139 on Aug 07, 2018

I will surely let you guys know how it worked out.

• Bzm11686139 Bzm11686139 on Aug 23, 2018

Betty here--no more snails. Cross your fingers that the plant survives.

Betty here--I used both eggshells and coffee grounds, and no more snails. Cross your fingers that the plant survives!

• Peter smith Peter smith on Aug 23, 2018

you can also use stale beer for slugs.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Aug 02, 2020

Hi Betty, it might sound silly but we have a few overturned flowerpots, with a stone placed under the rim to lift them up a bit, scattered around our garden. We check them every few days for snails. They like crawling inside. Grapefruit and orange halves work too. We also try watering our garden in the morning instead of the evening. Snails and slugs like moist conditions so by watering in the morning it gives the surface soil time to dry out by the evening when snails are most active.