Open Shelving Using Stair Treads

$50

We don't have a laundry room so much as we have a laundry closet, but that's okay. Redoing the shelving layout gave us all the extra storage we needed. When we moved into the house, the laundry closet had one long wire shelf. We decided to pull that out and put in shelving that looked nicer and was more practical for our needs.
open shelving using stair treads
The first thing we did was remove the wire shelving, patch the holes in the drywall, and paint the closet white using paint we had leftover from another project.
open shelving using stair treads
We decided to use stair treads for the shelving because they are cheaper than pine boards but still look pretty nice. I sanded ours and then finished them with a few coats of polyurethane to clean them up a bit. It made a huge difference.

To hang the shelves, we used black brackets from Ikea. I love these these, they are affordable and look great. You could also easily paint them if you wanted to, but I liked the black, white, and light wood combo. We used these shelving brackets in our power room makeover as well.

We also had two excellent assistants, pictured here, making sure we installed the drywall anchors properly.
open shelving using stair treads
And then we attached the shelves to the brackets! We did a deeper shelf on the bottom for detergents and whatnot. It's much easier to reach than the higher wire shelf was. The shelf immediately above the bottom shelf has extra towels, rags, etc.
open shelving using stair treads
What you can't see in this picture is that there is a third shelf, all the way at the top of the laundry closet, that spans the entire length of the closet. You need a step stool to reach it, and we put things we don't use often there, like extra blankets and pillows we only need to pull out occasionally for guests.

Thoughts on creative ideas for shelving? If you have a small laundry space, definitely check out the full post I did on our laundry room overhaul. Lots of DIYs as part of it, including an ironing supplies station (like I actually iron unless it's for sewing...) and a door-mounted, pull-down drying rack. I did this room as part of a $100 room makeover challenge and ended up spending $108.79.

Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Season McMahon

Very cute idea! I would even add a shower rod across the top (if the walls r narrow enuf)...just high enuf to hang clothes on right out of the dryer (cuz I don’t iron either unless I have to & I typically use a straight iron (for hair) as my iron)!! It would just a place place to hang em before moving them to the closet when I’m done with the load!

• Carolyn

Very nice! I love how your cats are supervising.