Cinder Block Planter

$65

using cinder blocks and reclaimed lumber from an old fence we made a large planter blox

step 1 is laying your cinder blocks out ...it all has to fit tight to prevent soil from washing out.....some blocks will not be the same size...so it will be a trial and redo to get that fit....also..if you have a small gap,just fill it snuggly with pieces...you will not see this afterwards...

I ended up extending the box to allow 2 more roses to fit....as you can see I have 1 board on top....that is the next step.

to clad the cinder block,I measured first the total height on the stacked cinder blocks (without the cinder block caps )adding 3 more inches and cutting the boards to that dimension ....starting at the end I hammered the board in only 3 inches and then took another board and butting it up firmly beside the board I just hammered in to support the 1st board tightly and continued till all boards are hammered in. Make sure all boards are hammered in level to the top of the cinder block....not over!

I then took cinder block caps and placed on top....

I placed the caps on top of the cinder block...again it is all about size....the top should align with the bottom....

I used no glue on any kind and yet I have stood on them and many sit on them with no issues.

I painted the caps to match the pavers on the ground and the cladded cement blocks look far better cladded and tops painted then the natural gray hue of cement.

and the look all ties in...the wood on the planter matches to wood on the wall and the top of the planter matches the pavers on the ground.

we brought the fountain from the front yard back here...

we also took the seating area out to the side yard and put a dining area here

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• Alradborn

This is a great design. I have to ask, do you have an approximate amount of cinder blocks? I live 2 hours away from lumber company.

• Sam32116372

Can I keep ornamental grasses in this all winter long. I am in zone 5. Thanks

• Linda

Looks very nice. One thing I didn't understand is how you hammered the wood into the cinder block to hold it on, or am I misunderstanding how you are hammering the wood on.

• Susan Davia

the wood is more décor the anything.. what I did was make sure the wood fit perfectly from top to bottom with extra 2 inches that was hammered into the ground ...also each piece fit next to each other,no gaps. then I placed the cement cap piece on top..this way you do not see the cement blocks which to me is ugly....