Asked on Jun 5, 2014

I would like to know how to keep spiders, slugs off of my rubber mulch

Tina KrenzBettyDouglas Hunt
+4

I use rubber mulch for my plants because it saves me money and I like it better than the others in my flower beds, and now and then I get spiders, and ants, and would like to know a safe and easy way to get rid of them without killing my plants.
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

I am glad to hear you like rubber mulch. I am thinking about buying the kind that comes in strips so I can place it along the front of my flower beds.

• Tina Krenz
      Tina Krenz

@Jeanette S You'll love it. I prefer the strips over chips. For one thing, they stay in place better and they just look more uniform that way too. You won't have to keep replacing it each year either(but you can always add a little more if you want to and the color doesn't fade for a long time). The best part, it does save you money in the long run, and it's not really that expensive.

Douglas Hunt

Gardens are supposed to have spiders and ants in them. Ninety-nine percent of them do more good than harm. If you spray to get rid of them, you are also probably going to kill other beneficial insects that are helping keep your plants healthy. For slugs, try setting out shallow containers of beer that you bury in the mulch so the rim is level with the mulch.

• Tina Krenz
    Tina Krenz

Thanks, but what else can I use if I don't have beer?

• Betty
    Betty

I use egg shells and coffee grounds and slug stuff from walmart comes in a red box and it works.I dont't seem to have them.Makes me happy.

• Tina Krenz
    Tina Krenz

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. The spiders are making webs on my flowers and also there are ants crawling on the mulch. I don't want to use chemicals only natural stuff to get rid of them.