Jennifer
Jennifer
  • Tutorial Team
  • Elizabeth City, NC

How to Make a Bistro Table With Wood and Spools!

$9

I have a lot of spools and a lot of wood, I'm making some Bistro tables!

how to make a bistro table with wood and spools
Gray and turquoise !

Gray and blush!  

They start with 2 spools and a round top from another type of spool! These are spools that held wire/cable.
The round wood top is also the the base and template for the pallet board top of the table. I laid out pallet boards then used the round spool top for the outline. Traced around that with a pencil then used a jigsaw to cut out the circle.
Leftover wood after I cut out circles. I will save and use that for another project I have in mind!
I sanded down the wood pieces. I didn't use glue, just a picture.
Okay the spools are heavy duty plastic but light in weight so I will need to make them heavier (centered in weight) so they don't tip over! Also will need a way to attach the tops to the spools. Easy enough to do! I made several plant hangers about 5-6 years ago and since I save my wood scraps I have a bunch of wood circle cutouts I will use for these tables. Perfect fit!!
I used 2 different sizes so it fills the gap between the top and the spool top. This is heavy wood too! I secured the circles with two 3" wood screws.
So far so good !
Finished with that part! That looks really good! More sanding needed!

I then used some Unicorn SPiT in Weathered Gray for the top! A very pretty stencil (Amazon about $5) and some soft pink ( Walmart about $4)! I then sanded a little bit more so some wood would show through and then sprayed 2 coats of clear gloss over the top! I also spray painted the spools a matching gray!
I don't have to predrill any holes in the spools, they already have them! Long screws with washers are going to hold the spools together!
This is the whole table upside down before I spray paint over the screws and washer, you won't see that part anyway when it is flipped over right!
All finished!! Since I made several of these at the same time, it's a little hard to judge the time it took but I'm going to guesstimate 1 day each and mainly because of paint drying time.
I also made some matching pieces for each table! A key/jewelry organizer, an inspirational knick knack and wall art!
Well that is it for now! Any questions or comments are always welcomed! Thanks for looking out people!!

• Pallet wood and thick pieces of scrap wood  (on hand)
  • Spools and wood tops of spools  (on hand)
  • Spray paint- ballet slipper pink and clear gloss  (walmart)