How do you upgrade a kitchen counter?

+3

My countertop is formica. It is 31 years old. I tried the formica paint about 4 years ago myself and it dries slowly and smells terrible as it cures.It is starting to wear off and I really need to fix it. Any idea that's not too expensive would be appreciated. It started out orange. Yes, I chose that color when we built our house. I think I was possessed! The only thing worse than the countertop is the floor, 31 year old linoleum.

q how do you upgrade a kitchen counter
  • Libbie B Libbie B on Aug 07, 2018

I updated my countertops in a rental with a product called quikcrete. We love how they look and it was inexpensive and have held up well. Here is a pic if you'd like to see them: https://www.hometalk.com/18147786/changing-up-an-orange-formica-countertop-with-concrete?r=2

• Teacup8885 Teacup8885 on Aug 07, 2018

Maybe ruff it up a little n get some cheap tile you like? Use tile adhesive n some grout. N floor maybe peel n stick linoleum on floor??!

• See 1 previous
    • Teacup8885 Teacup8885 on Aug 08, 2018

If you have a home depot or lowes I believe they can cut tiles for you , but I think they charge per tile.. n I'd get all the tiles that dont need to be cut set n get exact to be cut separate so u dont have to run back n forth! n after they are cut a coarse grade sand paper followed with fine should help to round the edges

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Aug 07, 2018

This company has good videos showing how to epoxy your countertop.

https://leggari.com/custom-counter-kits/

If you decide to tile, make sure to seal the grout several times and reseal it at least twice a year.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 08, 2018

The fastest way to upgrade formica countertops is to purchase new countertops made from a solid surface such as granite, corian, or quartz.

The fastest way to update formica countertops is to purchase new formica/laminate countertops in a current decor colour/pattern.

I am not a fan of the current diy fad to paint countertops. The results do not always meet with expectations of longevity or attractiveness.