Noting Grace
Noting Grace
  • Columbia, TN

DIY Rusted Cast Iron Finish

$10

We took an old ceramic planter and turned it into this vintage looking urn. Create your own DIY rusted Cast Iron planter with this tutorial.
diy rusted cast iron finish
This old ceramic planter had been sitting in my craft closet for the past few years. It was originally green and I had updated it by painting it white.

I loved the raw concrete edge and curvy lines. And I knew it would work perfectly for this DIY Rusted Cast Iron Planter.
diy rusted cast iron finish
To achieve that cast iron look, you want to use Matte or Flat black spray paint.  I found this paint and primer combo and it worked perfectly.

Spray each side, and don’t forget to spray the first few inches of the inside of the planter.
diy rusted cast iron finish
It’s dry to the touch after 10 minutes. Simply flip it upside down and apply a second coat.

Within a half hour, you have gorgeous cast iron look.
Of course, it would be stunning left as is, but I wanted to create an aged feel.
diy rusted cast iron finish
For this DIY, to create that vintage look, you want to add those rusty elements here and there.

I used Craft Paints in Espresso, Metallic Espresso, Pebble and Copper. For texturing, I used Fusion Paint Fresco Texturing Powder.
diy rusted cast iron finish
I had never worked with  Fusion Paints Fresco Powder. This stuff is magic, y’all! It creates that textured, stippled effect of rust.

First I painted the areas I wanted aged, layering paint colors and powder mixes.

diy rusted cast iron finish
Since rust has that rough textures edge, I dabbed my brush on the planter to recreate that look.
diy rusted cast iron finish
Here you can really see how the different colors layered beautifully on top of one another.

Everything was dry to the touch in a half and hour and the result is stunning!
diy rusted cast iron finish
Sigh. It’s as if it should have been there all along.
diy rusted cast iron finish
My ceramic planter was made with marred marks, so those were the areas of focus I chose to distress.

diy rusted cast iron finish
I especially paid attention to the feet.

Isn’t it amazing how real this looks?!

• Ceramic Planter  (nursery)
  • Flat Black Spray Paint  (Hardware Store)
  • Craft Paints in your colors of choice  (Craft store)
Noting Grace

1 comment