Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Lingerie Cabinet Makeover

$50

I found this poor piece for sale, and decided to rescue it! Sometimes when I see a piece, it just speaks to me. This piece said “hey, I can be adorable.”
lingerie cabinet makeover
Here you can see the piece as I found it. Now, I knew one drawer was broken....but didn’t realize another one was broken and missing the back. *sigh* I guess I should have checked a little better, but oh well!
lingerie cabinet makeover
Yup, I forgot to take pictures of the sanding process. However, I ALWAYS sand a piece even if I am going to paint it completely. I went with a soft gray chalk paint....and put a shelf in the top to replace the drawer that had a missing back, adding a bit of trim to make sure it looked finished!
lingerie cabinet makeover
Let me say...I painted the drawers about 4 or 5 times before I decided on the gradient! I just can’t stop until I am happy with the end result. I was sending pictures to a couple of friends...at one point one friend said they looked like sheep faces, lol. Glad I opted to go with the gradient/ombré look instead. I used General finishes wipe on satin finish to seal it.
lingerie cabinet makeover
I replaced the handles with these cute knobs I had left from another project.
lingerie cabinet makeover
I lined the drawers with contact paper.
lingerie cabinet makeover
And the finished before and after! It sold the day I posted it for sale!

• Dso28366938

Not sure what you are referring to when you say trim? Is that the thin scroll across the top of the trim or just before drawer? I can't tell if that is carved into the wood of the piece or if that is the trim you mention. Please clarify.

I love grays and I will most sincerely flatter you , by imitating your color scheme and your ombre effect on the drawers on some piece -- but, I think I may be on the lookout for a chest similar to this. I don't know how you could part with it, it's so fabulous!

• Lynnette Soltwedel

It is the trim. It has a design carved into it. I wanted the shelf to appear as if it was suppose to be there, and the carving just “dresses” it up a bit! I have learned not to become too attached. 😂

• Dso28366938

SO many questions come to mind! It's been 29 years since I've painted or refinished any furniture and have never used chalk paint, do you roll,brush, or spray it on? Are the drawers done in chalk paint also? I am going to look for the same products you used, here in San Diego. also, the poly -- brush or wipe it on?

Do you mind my asking what you sold this beautiful piece for? I am West coast, so it is a whole different world. but seeing what you did with this piece, makes me want to come to yours! ( Cont.)

• Lynnette Soltwedel

I generally brush it! I do have a sprayer, and have used it on a few pieces though. The drawers are also chalk paint. I mixed black and white to get the different shades. I used wipe on for this piece. I am not the beat at brush on, but sometimes I can con hubby into applying brush on (he is pretty handy to have around). 😉

• Annie

Hi super piece. Did you have an issue with bleed through if so what would you recommend to stop it

• Lynnette Soltwedel

No, I didn’t have any issues. I think prep work is important when painting. I always clean and sand my pieces. If you are concerned, you can always basecoat with a flat spray paint, that should prevent bleeding.