No Chemical Oven Cleaner

$5

We were getting ready to move and the ovens really needed cleaning. That's right, I said 'ovens'. My 1959 stove had double ovens and they both needed cleaning.
no chemical oven cleaner, Proud housekeeping moment right
Proud housekeeping moment, right?
Since I'm not a fan of chemicals and the harsh fumes that burn your throat, I needed a 'no-chemical' solution. Here we go:
Get yourself some vinegar, baking soda, salt, and a spray bottle.
no chemical oven cleaner
Mix 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water in a spray bottle.
After removing the racks, spray the interior of the oven with the vinegar/water mixture.
Then sprinkle it with baking soda and salt.  I didn't measure, I just threw it around!  I'm precise, like that!  😁
Spray it lightly again and close the door for 2 hours.  
This is what it looked like:
no chemical oven cleaner
After 2 hours I took my blue plastic scrubbie (sorry, I forgot to take a picture of it) and lightly scrubbed the oven surface.  Believe me, I do mean lightly - I don't scrub anything if I can help it! (There's a fence story with no scrubbing. You'll have to visit my blog for that one.)
The result was amazing:
no chemical oven cleaner
This was a win-win.  Clean ovens and no stinky chemicals burning my throat!  
Of course, if you have a new stove/oven with a self-cleaning option, this is not the tip for you.  On the other hand, if you have an older model, like mine, give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
no chemical oven cleaner
Update: We no longer own this Cottage and man, do I miss this stove! They just don't make them like this anymore!

• Vinegar
  • Baking Soda
  • Salt
Ann|The  Apple Street Cottage

2 of 1 comment