Lindsay Eidahl
Lindsay Eidahl
  • Cedar Rapids, IA

The Dresser Makeover That Is Green With Envy

$25

I have learned the hard way that I will only pick up solid wood furniture to make over. When I started my DIY journey, I picked up anything I could get my hands on. Not anymore. It is not that you can’t paint laminate or particle wood pieces, but I just love the look of solid wood furniture and how they are made so they are the only pieces I will bring home to breathe new life into.
the dresser makeover that is green with envy
This solid wood dresser was a steal at a yard sale. I actually got a better price on it because I bought two old dressers from the sale. The people I bought them from said the the dressers were on their porch for a long time. They wanted to make them over, but never got around to it. I was happy to take on that job for them.  
The front of the drawers were in great condition, but Matt had to repair the top of the dresser. It was split so Matt had to glue it and nail it in a few spots. It also looked like someone had set something on top of the dresser that left a residue on the top. 
Since the drawers were in such great condition and I love the look of paint with wood, I decided to leave the drawer fronts alone and paint the rest of the solid wood dresser.
I chose the color (aff) “ Palmetto” From Dixie Belle Paint. I love all things green and I couldn’t wait to open this color and see how it looked on the dresser.
I grabbed one of my favorite paint brushes from Zibra Paint – the (aff)  Palm Pro. This brush is one of my DIY loves. It fits in my hand perfectly and I feel like I have all the control when I paint with it. If you are looking for one paint brush to do any and all of your painting projects, this is the one.  The Palmetto color is beautiful! I am partial to green, but even if I wasn’t I would like this color. It works perfectly with the dark wood of the drawers. This dresser has come a long way from the yard sale I picked it up at. To see more about this project and all my other projects, I would love to have you stop by the blog: mycreativedays.com
Lindsay Eidahl

• Marlissa Gibbs

I have a white, plastic shower insert. It's all one piece. Any ideas on giving it some color that won't wash off?

• Lindsay Eidahl

I am not sure about plastic. I am sure if you went to your local home improvement store and asked there, they would be able to tell you. Good luck with your project!