How to Frame a Large Mirror

$20

Add a wood frame to a plain ole mirror to add character and style. Buying a framed mirror can cost several hundred dollars or you can DIY your own for a fraction of the cost.

We installed two large mirrors during our home gym remodel with the plan to add a wood frame. This picture was after we installed our mirrors during the home gym remodel. Our two mirrors measured 5 x 3 ft each.
how to frame a large mirror
Before we make our cuts we located the studs and got our measurements.

I started out by making the bottom and top cuts. Then I sanded and stained the wood. I also lightly sanded just the edges of the frame after they were stained to add a rustic touch. 

Then we placed the piece of wood against the mirror over the clips and marked where we would need to carve out the wood for the clips. At first I thought about using a chisel to carve out the wood, then a genius idea hit me. I decided to use a forstner bit instead and it worked amazing.
how to frame a large mirror
Then we did a test fit, lined it up with the dry erase marker marks, checked for level, and fired in several 18G brad nails. We repeated this for the top part of the frame.
how to frame a large mirror
For the sides I held up a 1 x 4 next to the bottom and top frame and marked for my cuts. Then I made a 45 degree miter cut on both ends, held up with the level and did a dry fit. Then I sanded and stained the sides, sanded the edges for the rustic touch and attached the sides with 18G brad nails. 
how to frame a large mirror
For finishing touches I used wood filler and filled in nail holes and any gaps where the mitered corners met. Wood filler, after diamonds of course is a DIY girls best friend! See the difference?
how to frame a large mirror
I love the frame! It really finishes it out nicely.
how to frame a large mirror
Check out this post if you would like to see How to Hang a Large Mirror. Since we are on the subject of large things check out this post on How to Make a Large Sign.

Thank you for reading this post. Come say hi at Dream Design DIY below.

Happy Building,

Tiffany
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

• Cynthia Olson

Love it! What breed of dogs do you have?

• Sherri

I'm so sorry. My girl is thirteen and so far in good health. I wish she could live forever. I'm sure your two gave you enormous pleasure.