DIY Pretty Lace Cement Planters

$5

We were doing some research on ways to display plants in your home, and when I saw some beautiful Anthropologie clay planters, I knew that I had to make something like it! I have also been a bit obsessed with lace lately, so naturally, I had to experiment.

We never really know if the things we try here are going to work, and this project is one of those trail-and-error types of adventures. But I LOVE the

diy pretty lace cement planters
The Anthropologie inspiration!

diy pretty lace cement planters
You will need:
  • ready-mix Cretestone or cement (the cement will give a harder finish, but I love the colour of the Cretestone!)
  • water according to the cement manufacturer’s instructions
  • plastic lace sheet (mine is a torn placemat, but I believe anything could work here – even really lace!)
  • plastic containers of various sizes
  • cooking oil
  • planting bags
  • paper cup to keep the inside hollow
  • Harlequin Cretesealer
  • Sisal Twine

diy pretty lace cement planters
Step 1:

Place the cement mix in a bucket and add the right amount of water. Stir the cement with a spoon, or with a paint mixer attachment to your drill – my new favourite accessory!

diy pretty lace cement planters
Step 2:

Put a planting bag inside a plastic container. Play around with different shapes and sizes! Then line the black planting bags with the lace.

Ensure that the cement won't stick to the plastic, see what we did here.

diy pretty lace cement planters
Step 3:

Carefully pour the cement mix inside and push the paper cup down in the middle, putting a weight like a stone inside to keep it in place. Use clothes pegs to keep the lace in place.

Leave the mixture to dry for 24 hours and then carefully remove the plastic layers. Find out how to make these hanging planters extra durable here.

diy pretty lace cement planters
Step 4:

Fill small pots with fresh potting soil and plants. You can use small pots or cut seedling trays as a pot inside the planter. Then string up with some twine!

diy pretty lace cement planters
That's it! See more of our pretty planters on the blog.

Happy DIYing!

Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 13, 2018 11:25 PM - More info
Homeology.co.za