DIY Pretty Lace Cement Planters

$5
1 Day

We were doing some research on ways to display plants in your home, and when I saw some beautiful Anthropologie clay planters, I knew that I had to make something like it! I have also been a bit obsessed with lace lately, so naturally, I had to experiment.

We never really know if the things we try here are going to work, and this project is one of those trail-and-error types of adventures. But I LOVE the result, and I am really excited to share it with you! Here’s how I made these gorgeous lace cement hanging planters.

diy pretty lace cement planters

The Anthropologie inspiration!

diy pretty lace cement planters

You will need:

• ready-mix Cretestone or cement (the cement will give a harder finish, but I love the colour of the Cretestone!)
  • water according to the cement manufacturer’s instructions
  • plastic lace sheet (mine is a torn placemat, but I believe anything could work here – even really lace!)
  • plastic containers of various sizes
  • cooking oil
  • planting bags
  • paper cup to keep the inside hollow
  • Harlequin Cretesealer
  • Sisal Twine
diy pretty lace cement planters

Step 1:

Place the cement mix in a bucket and add the right amount of water. Stir the cement with a spoon, or with a paint mixer attachment to your drill – my new favourite accessory!

diy pretty lace cement planters

Step 2:

Put a planting bag inside a plastic container. Play around with different shapes and sizes! Then line the black planting bags with the lace.

Ensure that the cement won't stick to the plastic, see what we did here.

diy pretty lace cement planters

Step 3:

Carefully pour the cement mix inside and push the paper cup down in the middle, putting a weight like a stone inside to keep it in place. Use clothes pegs to keep the lace in place.

Leave the mixture to dry for 24 hours and then carefully remove the plastic layers. Find out how to make these hanging planters extra durable here.

diy pretty lace cement planters

Step 4:

Fill small pots with fresh potting soil and plants. You can use small pots or cut seedling trays as a pot inside the planter. Then string up with some twine!

diy pretty lace cement planters

That's it! See more of our pretty planters on the blog.

Happy DIYing!

Homeology.co.za

• Hope Williams

This is really cool! Could you dye the doily do it would contrast against the cement? I would like to try this!

• Carol

add the color in the cement when still wet.and stirring.

• Leslie

Nice tutorial and a new product I learned about. My question is, is the Cretestone lighter than cement when dry and is it a polymer based "cement"? I looked it up on the homesite and didn't see any info ( or missed it in the safety data sheet ) on how heavy it can be after setting. Thank you for taking the time to answer.