Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

How to Upcycle Hula Hoops

$20

I came across these hula hoops at the store and I knew just what I could do with them....

I hope this inspires you to look at hula hoops in a new way!

Check out the video for the how-to's!

Idea 1: Decorative Orb

how to upcycle hula hoops

To begin, grab 4 hula hoops and spray-paint them any color of your choosing - I chose to spray-paint mine gold.

how to upcycle hula hoops

Next, grab some twist ties and begin combining the hula hoops into a sphere.

how to upcycle hula hoops

I criss -crossed three of them & then added the forth in the middle as a support beam to hold it all together. Secure each of these to one another with the twist ties. Don't forget to spray paint the twist ties so they don't show!

how to upcycle hula hoops

Now you have a fun sphere room accent that brightens up any boring corner!

Idea 2: Glowing Circle Lanterns

how to upcycle hula hoops

Grab three hula hoops and spray paint them - I chose black but you could spray-paint any color of your choosing!

how to upcycle hula hoops

Next grab some battery powered fairy lights & begin wrapping them around each hoop. You may need around 2-3 packs per hoop depending on how bright you want it to be. Grab some fishing wire and attach to one side of the hoop.

how to upcycle hula hoops

Now they're ready to be hung as an adorable light up circle lantern - the perfect accent to any event!

Idea 3: Outdoor Canopy

how to upcycle hula hoops

Grab a hula hoop and cut long strands of ribbon to tie around the back of the hoop - in a half circle.

how to upcycle hula hoops

Grab a sheet & attach it to the back as well. Add fishing line to the front and two sides tying it in the middle. This will ensure that when it's hung it's weight will be evenly distributed. Hang the canopy inside or outside - this is perfect to hang above a bed - or to add a little shade from the sun in your backyard.

Idea 4: Dream Catcher

how to upcycle hula hoops

Grab a hula hoop and paint if desired - begin tying yarn in a zig zag pattern. Add a variety of colors or keep it plain! You can add pom poms, tassels - the possibilities are endless!

how to upcycle hula hoops

This dream catcher is such a fun accent that can be placed in so many different areas of your home - a bedroom, an office, a living room, etc - it adds the perfect pop of color and texture.

Idea 5: Ribbon Mobile

how to upcycle hula hoops

Grab a hula hoop and grab some ribbon. Cut the ribbon as desired and begin tying all around the hula hoop.

how to upcycle hula hoops

Tie fishing wire to all sides of the hoop knotting it in the middle.

how to upcycle hula hoops

Hang this adorable mobile above your baby's bed or in a kid's playroom!

Idea 6: Paper Lantern Chandelier

Grab a hula hoop and spray-paint it - I chose to paint this one silver.

Attach fishing wire to all four corners of the hoop so it hangs straight. Grab some paper lanterns and assemble them. Using more fishing wire attach them to the hoop. Add as many as you want!

This paper lantern chandelier is such a cute accent in a dining room, living room, or playroom! You could also add battery operated tea lights for it to glow!

• Phyllis

question..how did you hang the hoop to ceiling for the paper lantern chandelier ? very cute and I want to do that!

• Em

Just curious...when does a circle have four corners...lol?

• Paula P

I love all of these projects. Where did you find the paper lanterns?

• Paula P
      11 hours ago

Thank you all. I'm heading to Dollar Tree right after work. These will look so cute in the nursery.

• Corrina
    11 hours ago

Great idea

• Lesa D
    30 minutes ago

Love the paper lantern idea for at camp this summer! So excited to do this, and for camp and for summer!😊 Thank you!