Abbie M
Abbie M
  • Hometalk Team
  • Brooklyn, NY

How to Upcycle Hula Hoops

$20

I came across these hula hoops at the store and I knew just what I could do with them....

I hope this inspires you to look at hula hoops in a new way!

Check out the video for the how-to's!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Idea 1: Decorative Orb

To begin, grab 4 hula hoops and spray-paint them any color of your choosing - I chose to spray-paint mine gold.

Next, grab some twist ties and begin combining the hula hoops into a sphere.

I criss -crossed three of them & then added the forth in the middle as a support beam to hold it all together. Secure each of these to one another with the twist ties. Don't forget to spray paint the twist ties so they don't show!

Now you have a fun sphere room accent that brightens up any boring corner!

Idea 2: Glowing Circle Lanterns

Grab three hula hoops and spray paint them - I chose black but you could spray-paint any color of your choosing!

Next grab some battery powered fairy lights & begin wrapping them around each hoop. You may need around 2-3 packs per hoop depending on how bright you want it to be. Grab some fishing wire and attach to one side of the hoop.

Now they're ready to be hung as an adorable light up circle lantern - the perfect accent to any event!

Idea 3: Outdoor Canopy

Grab a hula hoop and cut long strands of ribbon to tie around the back of the hoop - in a half circle.

Grab a sheet & attach it to the back as well. Add fishing line to the front and two sides tying it in the middle. This will ensure that when it's hung it's weight will be evenly distributed. Hang the canopy inside or outside - this is perfect to hang above a bed - or to add a little shade from the sun in your backyard.

Idea 4: Dream Catcher

Grab a hula hoop and paint if desired - begin tying yarn in a zig zag pattern. Add a variety of colors or keep it plain! You can add pom poms, tassels - the possibilities are endless!

This dream catcher is such a fun accent that can be placed in so many different areas of your home - a bedroom, an office, a living room, etc - it adds the perfect pop of color and texture.

Idea 5: Ribbon Mobile

Grab a hula hoop and grab some ribbon. Cut the ribbon as desired and begin tying all around the hula hoop.

Tie fishing wire to all sides of the hoop knotting it in the middle.

Hang this adorable mobile above your baby's bed or in a kid's playroom!

Idea 6: Paper Lantern Chandelier

Grab a hula hoop and spray-paint it - I chose to paint this one silver.

Attach fishing wire to all four corners of the hoop so it hangs straight. Grab some paper lanterns and assemble them. Using more fishing wire attach them to the hoop. Add as many as you want!

This paper lantern chandelier is such a cute accent in a dining room, living room, or playroom! You could also add battery operated tea lights for it to glow!

• Em

Just curious...when does a circle have four corners...lol?

• MK McDonald

I don’t see anyone jumping. I see other people’s ideas joining in. Don’t be so sensitive. You posed a great question and it took off. Period.

• Paula P

I love all of these projects. Where did you find the paper lanterns?

• Dee

Do you know how well the hula hoops gold up outdoors? I will spray paint and seal them, but curious if any one has had them outdoors for any period of time.

I have the hoops to make the spheres, but haven't made them yet.

Thanks

• Dee

Great, thank you so much. I have have the ones from the dollar tree, but I guess I can't go wrong, if it last a couple of years..

• Cynthia arroyo

Love all the ideas, want to make at least 2 of them. Thanks!

• Liz

Wonder if you could put one in the garden and have a climbing vine weave up and around. It could be anchored to the ground first. Just a thought

• Sunny

the cheap ones from dollar store will bend easily so that would not work well....it will work with the expensive hoola hoops