Painted Shower Tile

$50

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll also stop by my blog!

Tearing and replacing the tile in your shower is expensive, difficult, and time consuming! Not to mention the tools required to cut tile are pretty pricey too! While I wouldn't recommend a tile project for a beginner DIYer, this project is one you can do no matter your skill level! If you can read and follow directions, you can transform your dated tile shower with a little bit of PAINT!

I teamed up with a Hometalker in my community who had wanted to transform her bathroom for a while but needed a bit of help and guidance. With my help, we created a space she loved!

If you're in the Houston area, I can help you create this look for your home! Click here to see how I can help you & send me a message to get started!

painted shower tile
painted shower tile
painted shower tile

*Be sure to read the product instructions in their entirety; but here's the run down!*

The first thing you need to do is clean the tile. Start with soap and water then use alcohol to remove any residual residue.

Next you'll scour the tile with the steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper

Now mesure out and mix up the cleaner then throughly clean the entire surface area with TSP

You'll repeat this process twice.

painted shower tile

After the surface dries, you can tape off using painters tape. don't forget around your faucets!

painted shower tile
painted shower tile
painted shower tile

Safety first! The epoxy has a strong odor so be sure you have plenty of ventilation and wear proper safety gear!

painted shower tile

Now it's time to paint!

painted shower tile

Use a roller to cover large sections of the tile, and a smaller paint brush to cut in around the edges.

painted shower tile

Brush marks will start to level out and disappear after a few minutes.

painted shower tile

Your first coat serves as a base so don't try to get full coverage just yet!

painted shower tile

Your first coat must sit for 3 hours, then you immediately apply the second coat. If you don't get the 2nd coat applied within 1 hour of letting it set, you must wait 72 hours for the 2nd coat. You repeat the same time line for a 3rd coat if needed. 

painted shower tile

Here's the product we used!

The finished project totally transformed this dated blue tile!

painted shower tile

If you LOVE DIY projects, please check out my DIY archives!

thanks for reading!

Amber Oliver

• Margaret Howard

How long is this expected to last? I painted my bathtub with an apoxy paint kit similar to this; It was beautiful for about two years, then began to chip and come off. I was left with a terrible mess with old color showing all over tub where it peeled off. I had to hire a professional to remove all of my white paint, sand it and redo it professionally.

• Phyllis

As a professional even the paint AROUND our fiberglass tubs chips fast. I know of no permanent paint as much as this is usually my favorite design media. But since it's color you really want find another way to add that or you will soon have a chipped & peeling mess.

I added glass beads to edges & PURPLE Oven cleaner is the BEST for old scum & most discoloration. Since I used a yellow & light green warm paint & towel colors next to the tubs, the tubs how as white or ivory!

• Ann Due

I was wondering if the paint would eventually peak off the tiles?

• Mary Kerran

How do I update my bathroom counter top. It has a built in sink

• Crystal Davis

I love the project and my tile definitely needs to be redone

• Linda Bender

I liked the tiles before the redo. Crazy to paint tiles. They will eventually chip the new paint.