Asked on Aug 11, 2018

How can the smell of cigarette smoke be removed from an apartment?

Johnavallance82MichelleEm
+14

an apartment that is empty, and has been for more than a year, has had new appliances, new carpeting, new paint in all rooms, new ceiling fans, and the windows had been left open for days(in the spring time before it got too hot), and yet the strong smell of Cigarette smoke is permeating the whole space. Any help with this thanks.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

How about ceiling open windows lots of baking soda

• Ellen Gregory
    Ellen Gregory

What about washing down everything that's left. I moved into a house and when I started washing the shower stall all brown nicotine came off of it. The only other thing I can think of is the kitchen cabinets including under the upper cabinets and if they don't go to the ceiling the top. Also the window screens get all sticky from nicotine.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Are certain areas worse than others? If they didn't seal before they painted with something like kilz, it may have bled through the paint. Did the closets, doors, inside the cupboards, etc. get cleaned well? Perhaps the ductwork is harboring the odor, too. Put out lots of charcoal, baking soda, etc., everywhere and see if that helps. It could be harbored anywhere. Vinegar is a good odor eater, try finding down everything with it and let it dry. Anything that can absorb odors, even grout could still be harboring the odor. I hope this helps you some, Linda, it is a hard thing to get rid of the smoke odor.

• Linda Dugas
      Linda Dugas

My request was for a friend's apartment and we did suggest the charcoal. The place had been cleaned by a cleaning company, but you are right, they may have missed spaces. I had no way of knowing...but remarkably, the Charcoal left in the empty apartment with windows open for hours each day in each room with the Ceiling fans running did the trick! Thank you for the great idea.

• Linda Dugas
    Linda Dugas

There was a cleaning company that came and cleaned before all the painting and updates were made...thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

• Kathleen Basiewicz
    Kathleen Basiewicz

I have smoked in my home for 37 years and it was everywhere. There is no way to get around cleaning and painting. Clean the kit cabinets with vinegar, and the walls if they are not painted. Paint the ceiling and wall that can be painted with Kilz, and then the color of paint you wish. There is no signs of I ever had smoked in my home any longer. That is the only way to get rid of it. It gets into everything.

• Em
    Em

Not making sense if you have new carpeting and new paint. The odor should be gone by now. Did you wash down wood work with something like Murphy's odor....has a fresh smell to it.

• Michelle
    Michelle

Also add dishes of vinegar everywhere. Vinegar is a great odor neutralizer/eliminator.

• Linda Dugas
      Linda Dugas

Thank you Michelle, is it white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, or does it not matter?

• Michelle
    Michelle

i've used white vinegar I'm guessing apple cider would do fine. We had our bathtub reglazed years ago. That really was bad Vinegar bowls were put all over upstairs main floor. we left for overnight and when we returned . The smell was gone!

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi,

Did you have the ceilings repainted? Were all the walls washed down before painting? Have you Dry cleaned all of the soft furnishings (Curtains/Blinds)?