Brandi
Brandi
  • Atlanta, GA

Patio Makeover and Reveal

We installed pavers and created a small outdoor space.
patio makeover and reveal, decks, gardening, landscape, outdoor living, patio
My backyard was a hot mess. No grass, just Georgia red clay and lots of leaves! Over the winter we neglected our yard duties. Looking at my awful yard made me wonder, how do I make it look good again?
Rather than being bogged down by its current state, I decided to focus on what I liked best about our yard and plan from there:
-I love the ivy climbing up the back of the house. We're fully aware of how rapidly ivy grows and all the damage it can do, so we've kept it controlled to this small area.
-We love the look of our retaining wall, but after a heavy rainfall the lower level fills up with water and everything becomes a muddy mess. There's nothing much worse than watching your dogs track muddy paw prints across your floor! So we decided to start our planning there. We created a small patio area to keep the mud away. We wanted to have concrete poured, but it was way too expensive. Our next option was concrete pavers; they are easier to work with and inexpensive. We began by purchasing the pavers and mulch to fill in the cracks.
Once we had the area raked and leveled, we placed the pavers down in a simple pattern and filled in the cracks with mulch. We added a few azaleas. They should be an awesome border in a few years as they fill in.
A big improvement, but there was still a lot to do. I added more plants and gave the area a good cleaning with the pressure washer. I purchased paint for the back door and the areas that need to be touched up,
Better, right?! I enjoy sitting out here with a few magazines and enjoying the breeze.
It's where we have our morning coffee.
We have a deck outside of our living/dining room, but this area is cozy and relaxed.
Now that the weather is starting to warm up, we’re going to be spending a lot more time out here!
Thanks so much for visiting! I hope you enjoyed my small patio space.

Brandi

• Kathy

What did you do under your blocks to prevent any weeds from growing between them?

• Donna

Put vinegar in a spray bottle and if a weed dares to surface, spray it till its good an wet.......may take twice but that week won't stand a chance !   Heyyyyy it beats pulling them !

• Tina Gallagher

I wonder if this would work for my driveway, does anyone know if pavers hold up to cars driving on them?

• Terry Landstrom

They do but we were told to use sand not mulch and it’s quite an undertaking to level it as you would want the driveway pitched away from your house

• Malinda

Did you put sand down after the area was leveled?

• Pam

Great job being proactive! Nice simple do-able affordable plan and now, you can enjoy the space. Thanks for sharing!

• Kit

My OCD kicked in with the apparently un-leveled and un-even placement of the pavers. I love the idea, but it looks sloppy.

• Marlo

My thoughts exactly! Why wouldnt they have taken the time to do it right?